1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scanner survey

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Mar 21, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've been buying available Graham scanners to make them available for tool rental. It works but I also understand the importance of having a good tool. So right now, it looks like:

• $500 - autoenginuity, NHW11/NHW20 option, everything
    • $50-200 - Harbor Freight, Ebay, JC Whitney, WalMart scanners
    • $200(?) - scan gauge
    • $25/mo. - rental of Graham scanner, one available
    This poll is to ask the community what scanners they have and what they'd like to see tested.

Running out of gas in our 2003 Prius has left codes in the HV and engine ECU. I can pull the safety interconnect and add a code to the battery ECU. So this means I can test 3d party scanners and see if they can read out these codes. If a store has a reasonable return policy, I can test their inventory starting with the smallest going to the highest models.

I'm also interested in reviewing the scanner specifications vis a vis the Graham scanner. So please enjoy the poll. I figure to start testing in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

2. Tekmann

Tekmann New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry, I got busy and must of hit the <return> key.

Sunday I picked up the top of the line, Sears, $250 (with a $50) discount. I read the manual but haven't run the test yet. I still have the last fuel exhaustion codes in the NHW11 and plan to add the "interlock out" code to the battery controller. Then I'll compare the Sears to the Graham scanner. But after having read the manual, I'm not terribly impressed with the Sears scanner.

What I'll do is visit each of the auto supply stores and after checking on their return policy, take their top-of-the-line scanner. If it doesn't impress me, no need to go 'down scale' if you catch my drift.

Bob Wilson

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The most important criteria I would apply is the ability to add new functions. As far as I can tell, the ScanGauge is the only one that can do that, and there are some severe limitations at that. The scantool industry seems to have ignored all the configuration options on modern cars, such as the backup beeper setting on the 2010. Or adding TPMS for the spare tire (not even Techstream can do that, but it's just a 7 byte message).

5. mkgus

mkgus Junior Member

Very timely Bob. I have just gotten a P3030 code on my 01 Prius and am in the market for a scanner so I can trouble shoot this problem myself versus paying the dealer the price of a scanner to tell me the problem requires a new traction battery. I will wait to see what you find before spending my money on something that won't give me the results.

Is there any PC based scanner programs that you have used with the OBD interface cable that can give you the monitors that you need?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't have one but the Autoenginuity has a very good reputation. At $500, it is not cheap but we know it can read out:

• individual battery module-pair voltages
    • transaxle temperature
    • sub-codes
    It has recently been upgraded and I understand it may also handle the NHW20.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  7. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried the scangauge on the gen1 (03 non Can prius) and it cannot display any HVECU or BattECU parameters (SOC, BTV etc.) like it does on the gen2. It can however display regular generic parameters like MPG, ICE RPM, Vehicle Speed etc. on the gen1 (useless?).

Flash! I just received the Autoenginuity ver8.2 software, the Proline cable and the Toyota Enhanced Interface Option, but have not tested yet. I own both gen1 and gen2 Prius's so this should cover both. Read the manual once, and it looks like ALL HVECU, BattECU, EngECU, BodyECU etc. codes are covered as well as live data capture. Will install on a tablet pc running XPpro this weekend and scan my gen1 (03).

BTW the prices are: ver 8.2 w/Proline cable $249... and for the Toyota Enhanced Interface Option $150. Not bad if it does everything they say it will, considering the price of a comparable system. With this product you supply your own USB2.0 equipped pc of course. Will keep you posted on results.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I just returned the Sears scanner because it has no Prius specific information. I even had a chance to see the freeze frame data . . . what a joke. Pity the fool who claims freeze frame data is useful for Prius diagnosis. Ask them to list the freeze frame data. I've got photos and it is not the friend of a Prius owner.

I went by Harbor Freight and picked up the CEN-TECH OBDII/EOBD scanner. Half the price of the Sears unit, it looks promising or maybe s*ucks less.

LATE NOTE: The CEN-TECH was returned. The OBD-II connector won't fit. It was promising because the manual suggested it could identify the different controllers.

Next step, Autoenginuity. I'll order it Monday.

Bob Wilson

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

Actually, freeze frame data is often invaluable to the diagnostic process.

You are looking at the wrong freeze frame data.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Then you'll have no problem listing the elements of the freeze frame.

Bob Wilson

11. jk450

jk450 New Member

Which one?

12. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried Autoenginuity's ver8.2 software and proline conn. and Toyota Enhanced Interface on the 03 prius yesterday and was able to log on to the system using the ISO9141-2 protocall, and OBDII compliant. It was able to query the system for any DTC's (I didn't have any recorded) and also was able to record some grid data like RPM, Vehicle Speed, Coolant Temp, Outside Temp, Mag Clutch Current, etc. Have not found anything about HVECU parameters or BTV, SOC etc. yet. Still learning the system here. The 03 is away now for a day or two, but today I will try it out on the 06. For this I will have to re-connect to the system with CAN enabled. More to came. Tom

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Tom,

Yours, Hobbit, and other reports are good enough for me. I've ordered one and hopefully it'll be here before the end of the week. If it performs as expected, I'll have a second Graham scanner to rent.

Bob Wilson

14. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great Bob, always good to have another pair of eyes on this stuff. Yes I am new to this software and have yet to find the stuff I wanted, like BTV, SOC etc..on the 03. I'm sure it's in there somewhere, just haven't found it yet. But you know the scanguage did do the same thing (only displays generic things on 03) but it shows everything on the 06. Hey would you be willing to sell me a graham scanner for the 03? If so how much? Of course if we sell the 03 you can buy it back. Tom

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I heard it reads module voltages as well as MG1 and MG2 temperatures, I knew we would be able to find just about everything we need.
    I'm trying to keep them available for instrument rental. If someone has a salvage Prius, a Graham scanner is a very handy tool for tracing down the primary failure codes of the Engine, Hybrid and Battery ECUs. It also reports minimum/maximum module voltages and identifies which ones they are. It is a dandy diagnostic.

What I'd like to do is find some way to have 'rental' Graham scanners around the country. So if something like Daryl's 250,000 mile Prius pops up in the area, Daryl lives 50 miles south of Huntsville, a Graham scanner programmed to support that person's repair need can be made available. Heck, I've got another reported Prius problem over in Fort Payne, just 70 miles away, a weekend visit. If we can just figure out someway to make Graham scanners available as a community resource with priority for repair, I would be a lot happier.

I'm open to suggestions.

Bob Wilson

16. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great idea on the miniscanners Bob, well yesterday I ran it on the 06 Prius and it works great. I also found where all the hybrid parameters are. Right after logging onto the system it will ask what make, model, and year, then at the bottom field of that window instead of enhanced drivetrain (default for Toyota Enhanced Interface) select HVecu and walla! all battery pair voltages and other good stuff is there and ready to be plotted. They break it down to systems because to display all of them would be overwhelming. Don't know yet if MG1 and 2 temps are in the same system as the hv battery stuff, it may be under Hybrid system or something, still too new for me to know where everything is. Also soon they will release ver. 8.2.1 and this version they highly suggest getting for the hybrid owners. Will find out what differences it has but this version (8.2) already is overwhelming how much data is available on the pc version. I will next try this again on the 03, but judging from the last experience (it was working good) it looks like a winner. Will try to get some screen shots soon too. Time is limited here lately, so stay tuned. Tom

17. jk450

jk450 New Member

Before jumping on the Autoenginuity scanner, why not finish testing the Sears scanner? You provided no specific information on it, only that it "had no Prius specific information". However, it was apparent from your post that you were looking in the wrong place.

How many modules does your vehicle have?

How many can be accessed by a competent scanner?

How many were the Sears scanner able to access?

Which modules, if any, did it fail to access?

How accurate was the Sears scan data?

What scanner are you using to verify that?

As these are only preliminary questions on a very rudimentary level, the answers should come pretty quickly. But if you don't know how the scanner works, and you don't have a robust methodology to test it with, you won't be able to post useful results.

18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've already returned the Sears scanner and the Autoenginuity is on the way and should be here by Friday.

So now I've got hands on experience with the Graham miniscanner and Sears scanner:
    [​IMG]
    Once I get some hands on with the third model, I'll be able to post a set of system requirements. Best of all, we'll review the past year's postings of problems and map the scanner capabilities to the past problems ... a way to weight the relative value of each device.

Once the tables are up, anyone who has another make or model of scanner can quickly determine how useful their scanner is for NHW11 Prius maintenance.

Bob Wilson

19. jk450

jk450 New Member

Posting pictures does not equal meaningful experience. As I said before you posted the photograph, you are looking at the wrong freeze frame. Your photo confirms it.

And you can't really claim "hands-on experience" with the Sears scanner, or say that you made a fair assessment of it, if you don't know how scanners work.

I'd recommend reading up on OBD-II, freeze frames, datastreams, etc. before going any further.

20. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a couple screenshots running on the 06 prius. These are in no way correlated in time. Still learning ..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.