1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scanners and liteiture

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tombukt2, Jul 14, 2024 at 10:04 AM.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Has anybody here called any of these scanner manufacturers or sales outlets that sell all of these scanners that we talk about here especially the AUTEL top dog and various other mostly the tablet scanners and mostly the AUTEL brand I've been round and round with these people on the telephone this is the most double speak I've ever heard in my life It is amazing You do realize that most of these tablet scanners can't update ECU softwares and things like that unless you're paying about $1,000 for the scanner or the $3,000 kits from AUTEL The MK 808 and all of those things they're just glorified scanners with some bi-directional capability and they've swiped some basic things from the factory Toyota software that can get you to bleed the brakes and a few things like that learn the linear valve offset but if you need to update ECUs or do anything with ECUs these scanners cannot do any of that You have to get into the TS9 and a u t e l or better which throws you over $1,000 for the scanner and then you have subscription services you have to deal with just like a shop some shops pay $4,000 a year for their subscriptions like for their snap-on scanner every year of course they're in business I expect them to get hosed like that That's why a lot of shops I believe went specialty like Toyota Lexus Saab and Euro that sort of thing so they can get away from spending tons of money on electronic devices that they're probably not going to need because they don't work on those cars That's what it seems like anyway I don't know if I'd want to pay $1,000 or so dollars for a scanner to be able to update my ECUs which I haven't really noticed any thing really happened when my ECUs get updated at least in my generation too from the old firmware to the new nothing seems to be any different gas mileage gauges car running whatever and I would assume which may be a bad thing as cars get newer especially towards electronics these cars should be able to update by themselves from the manufacturer just because they're all Wi-Fi capable connected to the internet when needed so on and so forth so the scanner's not going to be needed any minute at least not for me for those types of things because that's going to all be handled through the airwaves automatically. But I just thought it was funny talking to these sales outlets to handle the sales of a few of these scanners It is incredible amount of double speak from people that you can barely understand telling you in backwards English that they guarantee everything will be just fine just give me $965 It's kind of hysterical.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far I haven't minded just paying the dealer when I want an ECU update flashed. They only charge an hour of shop time and they're the ones who get to worry about the reflash not going right.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Until I got my text software with all the updates on the big file on it which is updated the 2013 and all of the generation twos I would have done the same thing I wouldn't try it with one of these entry level or even professional level scanners from these manufacturers they can't even explain how their own equipment works or I don't understand Mandarin well enough or something whatever it is that makes absolute good sense for sure.