1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scared to buy a Prius?....we bought one!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bea2006, Apr 30, 2006.

1. bea2006

bea2006 New Member

Last week, I wrote a detailed message with all of my Prius fears! I was amazed at the detailed feedback. Thanks to all of you, my questions were answered, and we ordered our '06 Prius Package #5 last week. We wanted to work with our local dealer and will be waiting 3 weeks (dealer trade)....to 3 months. We are optional on the color--my husband wants black and I want....Barcelona Red!!!!!!! I appreciate the time you all spent patiently teaching me about the Prius. THANKS!!! Bea.

2. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You're welcome. :D

So...you're going to buy whichever color arrives first with your package preference?

I have Barcelona, and it's just dazzling in a blazing sun, freshly cleaned.

Assume you'll be tooting the party horn when your car arrives.

3. bea2006

bea2006 New Member

I agree the red is beautiful--all shined. Yes, we are going to see what is available with the dealer trade. AS I say, I am hoping for red. Do you have the 3 M paint protector on your red? What do you think? Bea

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have black. You won't go wrong with either color.

Tom

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 1 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]247867[/snapback]</div>
    And another fringe benefit is you would qualify for membership in the Hot Chicks in Black Prius club or whatever they call themselves :lol:

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations!! Hope you're enjoying driving around your new Prius!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ May 1 2006, 08:06 AM) [snapback]247936[/snapback]</div>
    LOL!! :lol:

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Well- we have a club for Barcelona Red Prius owners also! :)

8. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bea2006 @ Apr 30 2006, 11:31 PM) [snapback]247762[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bea,

I responded to your first post from April without realizing you decided to buy the Prius. I am from Maine and love my Prius, I think you will be very happy as well. I get about 46 MPG in the winter (this is a lot of around town driving which is more affected by winter temps. I put snow tires on in the winter and with snow tires driving in snow and ice is never a problem, if the snow is very deep then ground clearance can be an issue, but I have never run into any issues in the winter. I also give some month by month avg mileage data on the other thread if your interested. If you want to get great mileage try pulse and glide which I started using in May of this year, my mpg has gone up by about 10 mpg compared to may and june of last year (I have also increased tire pressure, I would recommend 44F/42R for best MPG, I have been using 56F/54R but most people are convinced that anything over maximum sidewall pressure is unsafe.)

Good luck and enjoy your new Prius.

Dennis

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats. I am sure you will be happy with your new car. The Prius is one of the few items I have purchased and not had any buyer's remorse.

11. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 26 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]276996[/snapback]</div>
    Thats a good point Tadishi! I never really considered it, but I've had my Prius for almost 2 years now and still look forward to driving it! The "new" still hasn't worn off! And I don't spend time thinking about new cars because I don't care about them anymore (until the next gen Prius comes out, of course).

12. Anubis

Anubis New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bea2006 @ Apr 30 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]247762[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Bea2006!

I came across your original question and read through all the threads. I'm so thrilled you, too, decided to buy a Prius! I just got mine a little over a week ago (Barcelona Red and I LOVE it!! My brother got the Black one about three weeks earlier -- I think this car's body shape favors the red over the black, but if you do some modifications [window tint, bra, etc], the Black will come out looking just as beautiful if not moreso than the Red).

I, too, had the same concerns for my kids. I'm a divorced mom with three little boys ("birthday alley" coming up, in three months they'll all have turned 9, 8 and 7 years old). I am Very protective of them. I drove a minivan before this purchase. I loved my minivan ('94 Dodge Caravan LE Sport -- I took out the middle bench seat which made it easier to reach each boy and buckle them in). The transmission was finally dying and it would cost more than the KBB of the van to replace (it had 218,000 miles on it), so I figured this was a good time to get the Prius I have been wanting for years.

I love the room in my Prius because I can put all three booster seats across the back seat. Yes, even as old as they are, they're still in booster seats, which is in accordance with the NHTSA's recommendations which urge the use of a carseat/booster seat until a child is at least 8 years old or 57" tall. View recommendation chart at:

NHTSA - Child Passenger Safety

Anyway, the biggest "deal maker" for me was the side-impact airbags and the rear camera. There are many other reasons I wanted a Prius, but those reasons were all "me" reasons, none of which were "kid" reasons. The safety of my children is paramount, yet driving an SUV was not what I wanted. I am and have been able to avoid many accidents with a quick, nimble car (I'm a die-hard Honda lover -- their quick response has saved my life on more than one occasion), so I prefer small "zippy" cars over big gas guzzlers. On top of that, here in Utah there have been SO MANY children being backed over and killed in their own driveways -- big cars cannot see the bicycle, cat, toy, toddler out their back window as the driver puts their vehicle in reverse. Personally, I can't figure that one out -- why are toys and kids in the driveway anyway and are not being taught to get out of the way when the door to the car opens? And why aren't the parents more aware of where their small children are?

A comment about the Prius' backing, though: My car is usually only running on battery mode only when I turn it on and prepare to back up, so is silent. A pedestrian (or child) cannot hear a loud engine start or smell exhaust from the tailpipe as an indication to get out of the way. And yes, even though there are reverse lights that "should be obvious" to pedestrians, in the bright sunlight, the glare hides their glow to a nearby pedestrian. So, backing should always be done with care, even though you have the backup camera.

I am pleased with my purchase and look forward to increased fuel economy as I continue through my break-in period. PriusChat has given me so much knowledge and has helped to reduce any potential of "buyers' remorse" (not like I would have any with this car, ha ha!).

One last thing to note: My driving style as always been rather precise and zippy (I like to stay close to curbs all the way through a turn instead of swinging it wide and impeding others who are turning from the opposite direction; I always drive 9+ miles above the freeway speeed limits and happily change lanes to accomodate others and pass still others). Yet, being aware of what my vehicle is doing according to the display has made me an even better driver. I'm not as "assertive" and don't feel the need to "pass" as often, simply because it is a delightful challenge to me to improve my MPG and experiment with the Pulse and Glide driving style. That, in and of itself, is the biggest kid-safety consideration I can think of!

Congratulations on your order -- I'm certain you'll be pleased! Watch for things like windshield sunscreens and such to help reduce the heat in your parked car (the steep angle of these windows allow a lot of sunshine and heat to come in) as well as other items to make your car even more pleasing for you to drive. This site is (and all the members here are) VERY addicting! :D

Happy Driving!

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maineprius947 @ Jun 26 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]276797[/snapback]</div>
    On the OEMs???? I suggest you put this under a "do not try this at home" header. They aren't real grippy to start with and at this pressure (presuming they don't overheat and blow) they will be unsafe. I suggest you check the pressure after you have driven a while. There is bound to be some buffer in the max cold PSI but I think you are pushing your luck (and the luck of those driving near you).

14. Pollenfax

Pollenfax New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Jun 26 2006, 03:27 PM) [snapback]276996[/snapback]</div>
    Totally agree with this and it's rare that I don't get buyer's remorse these days. You will love the car regardless of which color you end up with. Just an exceptional vehicle. :)