1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scavaging parts from DEAD Prius's?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whk.wang, Apr 19, 2006.

1. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Ok, I live in CA where there are supposed to be like 40% of most of the Prius in the US. I don't know about this, but man there sure are a lot of them here.

I was driving home the other day and to my horror, I saw 2 dead Prius in one day. On from an accident, and 1 on the back of a tow truck with the front all mashed in.

Now, I only have a basic model Prius without the NAV system. And I have heard that things are much easier if you have the wire harness from a Prius that does have the wire harness for the NAV system. With this many Prius in my area, and then number of dumb drivers here, I know I am bound to have Prius broken, so where do I go to find the Prius grave yard and how do I pick over the carcas?

But has any one heard of finding scavaged parts from broken Prius?

Any one know where or how to start to find parts from broken Prius? Is it a good deal or not worth it?

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are online vehicle dismantlers (LKQ for one) and you can email them for price/availability.

3. _echo

_echo Junior Member

Now that you mention that, if dismantlers offer a good deal on some of this stuff, it might be interesting to 'repurpose' some of this hardware. The Prius is a great piece of engineering, with some great 'recycling' potential.

I know that a few people have MFD's on their testbenches for 'testing' purposes. I for one would love to get one for 'testing' purposes, only if it were affordable, of course!!!

The utter coolness of SKS, might also be applied to unlocking the front door to your house.. :p... Imagine walking into your house without fiddling with keys.

For the hardware hacker in all of us, thankfully the DOE has satisfied most of our curiosities by taking apart the Prius. Seeing the guts has therefore been provided for ;) Of course, interior pictures of the inverter might be entertaining :).....

It might be rather difficult to get to some of the wiring harnesses though, it might be easier to cut and resplice the cabling. You would have to tear up carpeting, etc otherwise...

If you find a source for 'used' Prius parts, please let us know...

4. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_echo @ Apr 23 2006, 05:00 AM) [snapback]243904[/snapback]</div>

Here you go....

Autobeyours.com

5. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 23 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]243998[/snapback]</div>
    My god.... all those poor Prii... I cringed when I saw the crushed red one towards the bottom of the page.

[Linked to not leech bandwidth]

[More Pictures]

:(

6. whk.wang

whk.wang New Member

Well, it may be hard to get, and that may be an issue, but I guess the questions come up that is it realistic to try to find the parts USED/from DEAD. Or is it just not worth it?

Price is and quality is a an issue of course.

So who has visited or done scavaging from a car yard or crashed cars?
    Hints or tips?
    Where do you go?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_echo @ Apr 23 2006, 03:00 AM) [snapback]243904[/snapback]</div>

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, it's worth it. I just purchased an H14 ECU plug from autobeyours.com. For $27, I avoided paying $3,000 for a new wiring harness. Had they had one, they would have sold me the whole wiring harness for $350.

Another place to try is coparts.com, an auction house with 100 locations. They have a listing of salvage yards or used part companies that have purchased particular cars from them, at copartfinder.com. Click here to see a whole array of salvaged Prius.