1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scheduled maintenance after 120k?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Descovy, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Descovy

Descovy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's the scheduled maintenance after 120k (past where the book goes)

We are about to approach 120k ('08 year) and the only things that have been done are tires, oil changes, air/cabin filter changes.

We are told by mechanic to replace belt & spark plugs. Looking at owner manual I see we are past due for engine/inverter coolant change. (Should have at 100k)

What's next after this?

I have cabin/air filter changed at 30k intervals
    Engine coolant will be changed at 50k interval

No other fluids have yet been changed. Still have OEM brakes & 12v but figure I can wait to change as needed.

I would like to create a maintenance schedule to bring us beyond the 120k shown in owners manual.

Also, what is a fair price for spark plugs, belt, change engine coolant?

2. Fubar1764

Fubar1764 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    By now, you should have already changed your tranny fluid. I change mine every 60k. I consider it cheap insurance against tranny failure. Ditto for coolant. Plugs, belts, etc. should be routine at 120k. Since your belts will be out for the 120k service, consider overhauling your cooling system at 120k - water pump and radiator. I don't know the peculiarities of the the Adkins cycle 1NZ motor, but I'm pretty sure it's not fundamentally different. If you do a coolant system overhaul, your 120k maintenance will probably run $1.5k-$2.5k. Sorry, that's such a wide range; I don't know the cost of parts on the Prius, AND I think labor costs are going to be higher since there's exactly zero space with which to work in the engine bay.
    You're welcome to email me for a referral to my mechanic. He's near the corner of High Star and Wilcrest. I've been going to him for the last 13 years, give or take. He even does the maintenance on one of my Loti.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers!
    Jack