1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scheduled Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whocares?, Sep 4, 2017.

1. whocares?

whocares? New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recently took my 2008 Prius in for 5,000 mile checkup. I have been FANATICAL about this and the car has continually served me well. However, this time my advisor said I needed the following services performed: hybrid inverter coolant drain flush and refill ($165.40), transmission fluid flush ($179.95), and brake fluid flush ($128.95). Car is at 135,000 miles. Replaced water pump and engine coolant at 110,000 miles, had brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced at 106,000 miles and had cooling system flushed at 100,000 miles. Also, brake system was flushed at 75,000 miles. Trying to decide HOW soon I need to have this work done. Any suggestions? It seems that their "recommendations" increasing in intensity. I believe strongly in preventive maintenance, but it is starting to look like I need to list my Toyota Service department as a dependent on my tax returns.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the problem is, you've done everything at the wrong intervals. there's no need to repeat anything already done, but all the fluids should have been done by 120k.

you have toyota's recommended maintenance schedule in your o/m.

have the spark plugs been changed?

i would do the tranny, but find a place that will do it for around a hundred bucks. it's not required by toyota, but many here feel it is a good idea.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First off, all of these "flushes" are in-fact drain-and-fills.

Can you clarify that? Engine coolant, inverter coolant, air conditioning system?

Looking at a pdf schedule I've found I believe both engine and inverter coolant circuits were supposed to have coolant "replaced" at 100K miles or 10 years. From your summation of what's been done, I believe inverter fluid has never been changed? The price is steep though, $120 would be more reasonable.

Way too much. It is very simple, on par with an oil change, albeit the drain and fill bolt washers are more expensive, and the fluid is about $9~10 per quart/liter. You should have 4 quarts on hand? Anyway, around $80~90 is reasonable charge.

It's not in the Toyota schedule btw. Ever. But well worth doing. About 100,000 miles sooner.

It's not unreasonable time interval, worth doing. The cost is a little high, but not by too much. This is something that should be done periodically: Honda for example, recommends tri-yearly, regardless of mileage. Toyota Canada recommends tri-yearly or 48K km's, whichever comes first.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. whocares?

whocares? New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks to all who responded.

Mendel Leisk likes this.