1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scheduled Maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexstarfire, Jul 19, 2007.

1. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Ok, I'm taking my used 2002 Prius in at 50k miles to get it checked out. I really need to know a few things before I do. Do I have to take my car to a dealership, probably, or is it just highly advised to?

The car has had things like regular oil changes, tire rotation, and such from the previous owners, as their receipts show that. I'm going to assume that this used car hasn't had any previous scheduled maintenance on it since they don't have any receipts showing that. The big one, so what should I get checked out? BTW, this is why I'm taking it in at 50k instead of 60k.

Thanks for all the help, and I have looked at some other threads that say what I should get at 60k, but since my car probably hasn't had any checkups I'm not sure if there is anything else I should do.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The regularly scheduled maintenance for a Prius consists of oil/oil filter changes/tire rotations at 5K mile intervals, and engine/cabin air filter changes at 15K mile intervals. Everything else is just inspections. You may want to have the coolant flushed and replaced, and some recommend changing the fluid in the power-split device; neither can hurt, just costs money. I'm not sure about the Gen 1 Prius, but you need the Toyota scan tool to easily bleed all air from the coolant system on a Gen 2, so a dealer job.

Have the TSBs been performed? Some Gen 1 had to have the HV battery inspected for corrosion, and there may be some other things.

Do a search here for the dealer name you're thinking of taking it too. You may be surprised, good or bad.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are two special service campaigns that would seem relavent. The HV battery resealing (as Bill mentioned) and the crankshaft position sensor replacement.

I would disagree slightly with Bill about the coolants. While both the coolant in both 'loops' is to be changed at 30k mile intervals, there is no flushing as such. The electricals loop is said to be the more difficult to bleed, but my DIY experience was that they both were a bit tricky. Whoever does it, make sure to examine the reservoir for the electricals coolant loop afterwards. While the car is 'ON', that coolant is circulating and the level in the reservoir must be distinctly higher (almost an inch) in the front part of the reservoir (towards the front of the car). This is the clear indication that all air bubbles have been removed. If it is not so, the inverters will not be cooled enough and error codes (or worse) will appear. At your option you may specify the newer Toyota type SLLC coolant which has a 50 or 60k mile change interval. Your original type T IV has a 30 k mile change interval.

Two other tasks to consider. If the tires look (or feel) unevenly worn, a suspension alignment would be appropriate. It is a sensible precaution to have the transmission fluid drained and replaced at this time also. Please pay a bit extra for a new pan gasket, so that the pan can me removed for inspection and cleaning. If there is any more than a small amount of metal chips in it, we need to discuss that further.

As far as "Toyota shop vs other", any competent mechanic who can follow instructions on the service manual pages (and we can help oyu to find them), can manage the coolant bleeding procedures. Am sorry to report that even Toyota shops have gotten that wrong sometimes. Competence is key, and the reservoir level check mentioned above is your way to audit their work.

Every so often, it is good to have the brakes, steering, suspension and CV boots inspected. All that is typical of conventional front wheel drive vehicles.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jul 21 2007, 05:57 AM) [snapback]482715[/snapback]</div>
    Good suggestion, but the Type T IV is the ATF, not the coolant, which the OP should change as well (if not done already).

JeffD

5. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Wow, this is sounding a bit expensive. I already knew that it's not recommended to actually "flush" anything, but rather just replace/change it.

So far I should get these things done, according to you all:
    oil change
    change air filters
    HV battery resealing (I must ask why I need this done though?)
    Crankshaft position sensor replacement (Again, why should this be done?)
    change coolant in both loops (You mentioned the electrical loop, but what is the other loop)
    Suspension alignment
    change transmission fluid
    get brakes, steering, suspension, and CV boots inspected
    get new pan gasket
    change ATF (What is this?)

I'm was already going to get the alignment, oil change, oil filter, and air filter. I know I need to get that stuff done. Glad I found out about the other stuff too.

Any ideas on a ballpark figure that should run me? If it's gonna be more than $200 I'm either gonna have to get some cash from my parents or put it off till I can afford it, which I'd rather not.

Ohh, and I'd probably take it to the Stone Mountain Toyota dealership off of US-78. I'll look that up on here and see what it turns up. Any other places I should look into to taking my car in Gwinnett County, Georgia?