1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ScientificAmerican bit on silent hybrid danger

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MagneticGrayIndy, Jul 18, 2008.

1. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    August '08 issue of Scientific American has a short article on the whole "silent" issue being a danger in hybrid cars to pedestrians. Actually, it's a fairly neutral article, not negative on the Prius at all, with such blips as:

"No concrete evidence proves that hybrid cars are involved in more pedestrian accidents than their noisier counterparts. ..... hybrids and conventional vehicles are equally safe when traveling more than about 20 miles per hour, because tire and wind noise generate most of the audible cues at those speeds... hybrids also tested safe when leaving a stoplight..."

and

"Pedestrian safety, he points out, is not a hybrid issue. It's a quite car issue." ...talking about how several vehicles are quieter than hybrids (high end and not high end).

August '08 Scientific American pgs. 22, 24

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Just read it. I agree with it for the most part. Seemed fair. -I- won't be putting "noisemakers" on Pearl! We have eyes and laws to protect pedestrians when we drive!

3. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Scientific American bit on silent hybrid danger

Folks around my neck of the woods put "noisemakers" on their vehicles to scare deer from the roadway.
    I encountered one recently,he managed to jump over my hood and scampered into the woods.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Re: Scientific American bit on silent hybrid danger

Are we still talking about blind people?

5. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I read about this issue in a newspaper a few days before I purchased my Prius. The irony is, after driving Toyotas all my life, that all of my cars were very quiet, maybe not Prius electric motor quiet, but certainly close. When pulling out of an alley into an intersection with pedestrian traffic, drivers must always give a little horn before proceeding on. I thought the article was more about creating a problem than reporting one.

6. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Guys,

The solution is very simple. All you need is a warning sign like the attached bumper sticker below to cover yourself legally. In the event that you should unfortunately hit a pedestarian, all you need to do is confess to the police "I'm sorry, I didn't hear him coming.

Keith

Attached Files:

7. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I must be blind. I cannot read that miniscule bumper sticker!

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It's our "victim" mentality society at work. Years ago, a pedestrian gets hit, it's not news, it's a tragedy. Today, we notice it's a hybrid, and we jump on the "it's got to be some big company's fault and I'm entitled to money!!"

My mommy taught me to look both ways before I cross the road. Didn't yours?

9. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi KtPhil,

Except no blind pedestrians have been struck by a Prius. While dozens have been by other cars. And other pedestrians have been struck by a Prius at the same rate as other cars.

Non-Issue.

10. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The whole issue makes the blind seem like wimps and losers. Is this about the blind complaining or the rest complaining "for" the blind?

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've already got a back up beeper installed that can be heard on the outside that people ignore. I've watched them ignore it in my rear view mirror.

12. duanelaugh

duanelaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do wonder if anyone has been in front of a Pruis...even with the engine not running. If the AC is running, it is just as noisy as any auto... If you turn off your AC, of course it is quite, but with it running is is very noisy I do wonder why all the problems..

13. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that you have hit the nail on the head - From all I have read, it is always someone who "is thinking on behalf of the blind" who is raising the issues.

14. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Strikes me as a lot of nonsense. Probably initiated by oil companies.