1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion FR-S Wheels on Prius - Info

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill930p, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Bill930p

Bill930p Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just installed a set of FR-S wheels on my 2012 Prius. I did a search on this forum first and found some useful info. I wanted to add some more to what's already here, but decided it was easier to start a new thread with everything in one place.

First, here are pictures of the car before and after.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The wheels require a spacer in order to clear the brake calipers. I used 5mm spacers in the front, and 7mm in the back. The reason I staggered them was that I didn't like the way the back stuck in. I would have preferred 3mm in the front, but I already had the 5mm ones laying around, so I used those. The rear wheels are still a little too far in for my taste, but any wider spacer will require longer studs.

The original Prius lug nuts can be used, but they are not the correct ones for the application. I bought a set of generic cone seat lugs from my tire shop that worked, but I think the best bet is to use the original FR-S ones if available. They have a small cone seat with a washer. With the 3mm and 5mm spacers, you will get plenty of turns on the lugs. With the 7mm spacers, I was just barely able to get 6 turns when all the way tight.

The FR-S wheels have a slightly larger hub the the Prius wheels. 2mm, I believe. I ordered hub centering rings to adapt the hub. Will likely arrive next week. But in the meantime, I don't notice any vibration at all. Not sure if i even needed the rings. But since I already ordered them, I will install them once they arrive.

Car now gets about 10% less MPG. The odometer is not effected as the wheels/tires are the same overall diameter as the originals. To verify, I drove the same route the day before I installed the wheels and the day after. With the original wheels I clocked 27.6 miles. With the new wheels I clocked 27.4 miles. I also verified with a GPS.

I am very happy with the way it turned out. I'm not a fan of the reduced MPG, but willing to live with it. The car looks so much better, it's a fair tradeoff.

2. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice! I'm jealous. They look really sharp.

I've been drooling over the FR-S since it came out. Doesn't make sense for me with a rapidly growing golden retriever puppy though.

3. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, that really looks nice! Great job.