1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion iM and Toyota Direction

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jan 9, 2015.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Original title and source:
    New Names and Bold Bodies Coming to Scion in 2015 | Scion

[​IMG]
    I took one look at the protocol to realize we are seeing a 'generational' thing happening at Toyota. The old guard, the fathers of the Prius, are being replaced by a new generation:
    • performance - they want hot, fast cars
    • bling - a lot of flash, pockets, and angles
    • greenwash - what could be more than the fuel cell
    Understand I am OK with a company charting a new direction. Toyota did that nearly 20 years ago and made this wonderful Prius. But they've never really been the "Jetta" competitor for youngsters. Sad to say, I think they are seeking a 'virtual' young car owner and like a mirage, it is an elusive goal.

My biggest disappointment was the Scion and Prius were not combined and provide conventional or hybrid drive trains for both. If so, we'd probably have a Scion xB-hybrid.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

F8L likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I suspect we haven't seen a hybrid Scion because of the brand's pricing and feature model. Like Saturn of old, Scion sells cars at the MRSP with no haggling. For an affordable brand aimed at younger customers, they are loaded on the standard features. The lack of options may save a little bit of cost in manufacturing, but costs are mostly saved by using older engine and transmission designs.

Not saying that is a bad thing, but it does lead to some, uncompetitiveness in regards to sales. When it became a Scion, the iQ lost the engine and transmission options, and then got some extra features. Its predelivery price is over $16k. Its main competitors are the smart fortwo and Chevy Spark; both of which have an base price around $12k.Of course the price goes up when features are added, but a buyer can haggle for a better price.

A hybrid xB would likely get an unattractive price increase, or use the HSD from the gen2 Prius.

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car in the picture looks a european Auris (E180), good for Toyota to spread its nice design...

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they're gonna have to up their marketing game...

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder how marketing will change in light of young people not being as interested in cars like previous generations. More and more young adults or late teens are opting to not own a vehicle.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think some of the marketing for the Spark has realized this, but it likely will be more social media based, and we'll miss it.

F8L likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Scion will never have a hybrid option. Their targeted demographics don't want a hybrid and if they did, well there's the Prius c for that. It's about looks and performance. It has to look stylish and hip and it has to have reasonable power. The tC is a good example. It's versatile (hatchback), looks reasonably cool (chopped look with the flat roof and the squished side windows) and it's powerful (2.5 litre 180ish hp, more than plenty for this car and acceleration feels strong) and it's reasonably priced ($20,000++) for a car of its size. The rear seats recline so I'm pretty comfortable at the back, compared to a Corolla.

The 2G xB was a big disappointment. Somebody thought that the original xB was too small and basically "americanized" it with a supersized interior, an engine/transmission combo from a Camry (not the good combo) and a LOT more weight. It's 2015, it still has the 2AZ-FE 2.4 litre with a 4-spd automatic. It went from light and lithe (even if it was a bit underpowered with a Yaris engine in it) to lumbering and heavy. A Camry engine/transmission combo can be done right (see tC).

The xD is another disappointment. It's basically a Matrix with a squared-off body (sold as the Urban Cruiser in other markets). There's nothing going for it. No cool features, no cool styling elements, no performance or fuel economy benefits over similar cars (like the Kia Soul which is quite popular up here, even if Kia's rear suspension aren't great. I've sat in a few and have bottomed out over normal road irregularities with 2 people in the back).

This Auris, *ahem* sorry, iM, better be tricked out accordingly. If it's simply a Corolla hatchback, it's done for. Put the new 2.0 litre turbo and a proper manual or 6-spd automatic and tune it to compete with the GTI or at least the regular Golf. If they want sensible and fuel efficiency, Toyota has the Corolla covered for them, if they want a blend of performance and fuel economy, the tC's got it. Make the Auris/iM the hot hatch of the Scion lineup.

Trollbait, austingreen and F8L like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've heard this, and even know some of my kids friends who don't have cars, but where can we find the facts? i read that sub prime auto loans are out of control. someone is buying a lot of cars.(n)

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It went from Yaris/Sonic to Matrix/HHR.

My father bought one during 'Cash for Clunkers'. I tried steering him to the Matrix, which had a smaller engine option, thus better fuel economy and incentive, but he liked the original xB's style.

The funny thing about Scions when they started out around here was that most seem to be driven by 30somethings. I even looked at an xA because the US didn't get an Echo hatchback.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well 30 somethings would have the money for it plus they would be sensible and mature enough to recognise a good value when they see one. Scions also appealed to retirees who wanted a small, fuel efficient car with the basic modern amenities. Honda had a similar scenario with the Element. I don't think there were many Elements with a surfboard sticking up of the moonroof (brochure said that's what it's for).

The xA was nice (née Ist) but once the tC was launched in 2007, it was clearly the better value (with some lost in cargo height due to the sloping roof)

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    It's like one of several Mitsubishi cars I see appealing to the teen age crowd;

[​IMG]

Not that it's working extra well for Mitsubishi sales. You gotta love grooves scoops & giant grill work I guess.

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I gotta disagree with that assessment. My FIL just purchased a 2014 xB 2 weeks ago and I drove it home for him. It basically is the same weight as the Prius Liftback but shorter, slightly wider and lower ground clearance with a 2.4L. Very well balanced and with the 2.4L ICE has some nice pickup, better than the Prius, about the same as the Venza with the 2.7L. Great car for him because he can get in and out easily and the back hatch floor is high enough so it doesn't require him bending over to put something in it. I believe ease of access will be a very important selling point as our population seems to be getting older.

Doesn't quite ride as nice as my PiP (especially with the new hakkapeliitta r2 snow tires) and the auto tranny needs another speed or 2, but it does have a Pioneer sound system, 16" wheels and is a bit quieter. I got 32 on the cons mpg meter but I think with a 6-speed it would get better.

13. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The big xB isn't a bad. It is nicer than the HHR which is very close in size. It is just that it car model generational bloat creep to an absurd level. The new Corolla is mid size noew. It gained 7cu.ft. in volume over the previous generation. The xB gained 12. If it was counted as a hatchback instead of a wagon, it would jump from compact to large car. It went from unique, versatile compact to a small wagon that nearly every over brand had, but with a thirstier base engine.