1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion rims for the Prius C using the stock tires...

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking to get rims for my Prius C 2 while using the stock tires. From what I gather, 15x6 4x100 rims should work fine using the stock rubber while maintaining similar stock handling. I have my eyes on Scion XB rims, which can be had for less than $400 on Ebay Motors. Is there anything else I should consider before making the change? The TPMS sensors should fit on this rim from what I read here. Are there any other issues I should consider? Thanks!

BTW - It comes with Scion center caps, any recommendations on Toyota branded caps that will fit?

2. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_0519.JPG I just did the very same thing on my P3. I had the tires and sensors moved over to the Scion wheels yesterday. Center caps are still Scion, I have yet to find an alternative. I chose these rims because of the 6in with, and because I wanted to use the tires that came on the car. Most of the aftermarket wheels that I looked at came in 6.5 inch and chose not to stretch to that dimension. There are those on this forum that have gone to 6.5 without problem.

3. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great! I like how your Prius C looks! I want to maintain a stock look and nothing that screams aftermarket. Plus I primarily do city driving and really like how the 15s with the stock tires handle. What is the weight on the XB rim? Also did you notice any handling improvements? Are the center caps engraved or just printed on? If printed on I figure I could buy Toyota emblem stickers for the center cap. Thanks!

4. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, I weighed both the steels and the alloys, but I question the borrowed scale. It was the same scale both times but I swear the steelies felt heavier. Anyway here are the numbers: Scion = 17lbs, steel = 15.4lbs. IMG_0390.JPG IMG_0515.JPG The center caps have the Scion emblem attached to a chrome background in 5 places (as in 5 holes in the chrome backing if you elect to remove it). All is recessed below the top edge. The best measure I got for the center circle was 1.6875 inches, so I too will be looking for a Toyota emblem in that diameter. IMG_0394.JPG Handling didn't seem to change, but I thought it handled great to start with. BTW- when your change your tires over make sure that you keep track of the TPMS wheel transmitter numbers. The numbers are 7 digits and look like this, the number of the example is 00FDAC0 : IMG_0508.JPG .

5. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the info! I was wondering, when I switch over the TPMS sensor, will the car recognize them immediately or will I have to input the 7 digit numbers on the sensor?

6. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ya, that was my concern too. I took the EZ route and had the sensors mounted in the tires as they were when I had them on the car originally. I just marked the tires LF, RR, etc and had the sensors follow the tires.

7. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Jonathan F/2, I don't know where you are on your Scion wheel, but if it helps you out, I bought mine from Import Tire Co. (Glastonbury, CT) I paid $95 ea, they included center caps, chrome acorn lugnuts, and a chrome valve stem - (which will do no good if you transfer your TPMS sensors). They were NEW Scion wheels, in the Toyota boxes. Shipping from the east coast to the west coast was another $80. Total to my door was $460.I feel as though I got a great product for a fair price and good customer service as well. The afternoon of the day I made the purchase, I had the tracking number in my email. They were sent the day of the purchase and showed up 1 week later. IMG_0394.JPG IMG_0391.JPG

8. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Did you get them off Ebay? By any chance do you have a link or website for the rims? Thanks!

9. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sort of; put item 140746216000 into ebay and although ended, these have been relisted.Once there you can go to their store or ask a question. Although this item was for wheels AND tires, I sent a question regarding wheels only and shipping for wheels only. So although I did not technically get them via ebay, I did find the seller that way. Let me know if this helps.

10. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, I sent them a message, hopefully they'll sell me the rims only!

11. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just called and they quote me $20 more on the total since I'm in LA! Too bad there isn't any west coast places we can order from.

One more question, did you need to get hub centric rings for the Scion wheels to fit on the Prius?

12. silvie

silvie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I am also interested to take this route. Did you have to use any hubcentric rings? If so can you please post the details?

13. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm having second thoughts now. I didn't realize you can order rims off Amazon and if you have Amazon Prime, shipping is free! I could get some aftermarket 15x6.5 rims. Though I'm not sure if I should buy new tires, or chance the stock tires on the aftermarket rims?

MissP likes this.
  14. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    OK ya 'all, If we get busted by the moderator, send me a PM, and I'll tell you the story - but if I don't get busted for hijacking this thread - here we go -" :
    There is no need for hubcentric rings. "The Scion rims fit the Prius C perfectly!" . Now for the rest of the story -
    I mounted all of my new rims on my Prius without tires. I wanted to ensure that everything was in order prior to moving sensors and tires (no small expense, not a show stopper but why waste money, right?) as it turned out they all fit snug - with a gentle finger squeeze through the spokes and against the backing plates they all snugged and tightly, ready for lugs to be torqued at 78 ft lbs. All except 1 ! I tested all wheels at all 4 corners and they were all snug, I tested the 1 and it was not good at any corner. I called the seller, explained the situation and asked for advise because I did not want to do anything that would make the wheel non-returnable, but obviously I could not use it as it was shipped. It felt as though it was "almost there", but all of the "hand grip squeezing" did not get it to the correct seat. I was apprehensive on pulling it up with lug nuts because if I wedged it on, I may have a bigger problem getting it back off. To the seller's credit, I was told to check for any excessive paint or burrs in the interior of the wheel's hub. I told him that I would be willing to sand the interior of the hub but was apprehensive about the return of the wheel if that did not work - I was authorized to give it a go, and that they would stand behind it. SO - using a sanding drum, and my drill and working VERY VERY slowly. I got the rim to fit snuggly against the center hub on all 4 corners and proceeded to mount tires and wheels.
    Installing Aftermarket Wheels on the c | PriusChat This particular thread is excellent.! Initially, I actually ordered Konig's for my C3 BUT, the Heliums were no longer offered in my size (15X6.5) and Feathers were no longer available in silver, BUT most importantly, the west coast Konig customer support rep was a total A$$! I elected to not go Konig, but they were my first choice because of this thread's conversation. It was the wrong color and lack of Konig support that caused me to cancel my order, I think 15X6.5 will work fine, although there will be nay-sayers.
    Good luck ya 'all. Get what you want, it's a long time living with something you are not happy with. Personally, I'm very happy with the Scion 15X6 OEM, center caps and all. But, that was my chioce - to each their own.

15. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks AutoMo, all your information has been extremely helpful! Once I get my rims, I'll make sure to post pictures! ;)

16. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Decided to order the Scion XB rims! I wanted alloys, but I didn't want rims that stuck out too much. I'll post pictures once I receive them!

17. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looking forward to your pics.

18. eldersciii

eldersciii C3PO

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I cheated and paid $390 for the OEM 15" C wheel option. nice look with the Scion wheels. I a willing to bet that the center caps for the stock C wheels will snap right in to those Scion wheels.

19. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think you cheated, I think that was the best choice. I tried to get that particular option but I could not, actually it was almost a deal breaker. The Stealership told me that "if the car did not come to them without the wheels installed from the factory, I could not order the option separately" BUT their parts department would sell me the wheels at $450+ each (bare - no caps, no lugs, no mounting or moving tires or TPMS, nothing but a bare rim). So my response to that was to find me a car with the same options AND a $390 wheel option package. Their response to that was -if they located a vehicle it would cost me an additional $600 to have it delivered to their dealership, so they could sell it to me. Trust me, if I could have purchased the option, I would have. I love the car, it's the Stealership and their Dis-service Department that caused my acid reflex to flair.

michael.sfo likes this.
  20. Jonathan F/2

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Got my rims today and mounted them an hour later! I didn't install the Scion caps, I'm going to try and locate Toyota caps that fit! Thanks for all the help AutoMo!

[​IMG]

michael.sfo, legoadan and cyeremian like this.