1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion TC 17' wheels 2007? OR.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by vinnysca, Sep 15, 2006.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I was wondering if anybody knows or has experience with the new Scion 2007 scion 17" wheels on their prius?
    Looking at the website for Scion, the 2007 comes with wheel sensors already. So, I went to my Toyota dealer and asked one of the service guys. Although they have not had experience with putting on a 2007 Scion 17" wheel on a 2006 Prius, he said that there should be no problem with the sensor working on my car. The sensors apparently work via radio frequency through the computer in the Prius. And, since it's a Toyota product, it should be "swapable". They will call Scion sometime this week and let me know. If so, then I'll order the 4 sets of wheels from them. Now, I know it's gonna be expensive since I will be going through my dealer, but I really don't want the hassle of going through eBay or buying the wheels myself...and just want to have the peace of mind that if something goes wrong that I can easily take it back to my dealer.

I'll let you guys know what I find out when they call me later in the week.

Vince.

PS. I just installed the EV mod from Coastal and it works great! Only took me 15 mins to install.

2. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Ok, I got the call from my dealership about getting a TOTAL price on 4 2007 17" Scion TC wheels for my Prius. The total price he quoted me was $2,800! What's your opinions?

Vince.

3. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :eek: oh my god! That seems like alot of money for 4 tires.I heard the tire pressure sensors were expensive,but that quote blew my mind.

4. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Sep 15 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]320254[/snapback]</div>

Dude,

That's a fortune! :eek: I took the SE option for the 17's on my car, granted it's beautiful. Turning back the clock, I would have got it stock, and then ordered what I wanted. Since then, I bought a stock set of wheels and tires to get a mileage baseline, and now I am ordering new 17" tires, cause I found some that are alot lighter than the Pirelli's that the car came with. I don't know what you have now, but if I had it to do all over again....There are so many lightweight options for much less than $2800. I have already spent too much. I still may have to order lightweight wheels....The Centerline/General Exclaim combo is cheap and very light. The tires I have coming are the General Exclaim UHP at 18 lbs. It's wortht IMHO, to go outside the dealer for this.

Me:
    SE wheel and tire option: $1550
    Stock tires and wheels $450
    New tires I have on order $400

Do yourself a favor, and don't do what I did.

5. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks for the advice. I definitely will wait and try to get the 2007 TC wheels outside the dealer. I'm not in a hurry anyway. I wonder if I can get those TC wheels from eBay (there's a seller that sells 2006 wheels) and just order wheel sensors from Scion? Then, just take the wheels to Toyota to have them programmed into my car? Unless someone on this chatboard has figured out how to do that without the dealer? <_<

Vince.

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well just wanted to add my two cents. I've experience with purchasing wheels/rims off of ebay. And i only payed a total of $700 for the whole package ~ Minus the sensors for the tC rims of course. But i only heard that it'd be $200+ for a 4 wheel sensor package. I believe doc Vijay purchased a tC set and installed the sensors. What i got from him is that, after the whole deal he didn't feel that it was worth the extra dough for the sensors. I've posted pics of the 'sensor' light on the HUD which would show how it would look like if you didn't have sensors. No biggie for me.

7. bobh3501

bobh3501 New Member

I'll add my 2 cents too, vinny. Is there a reason you want the TC wheels (do you love them?) - because they are heavy and not that great looking (and clearly expensive if you buy them through the dealer). You can get very nice lightweight wheels and tires that will better compliment your Prius and be a real personal statement .. The Centerlines are nice, I have Wedssport. Check out Tirerack - they will ship to a shop near you and you can have the shop install them with the sensors from your factory wheels .. the install is usually about $15/wheel.

8. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I'm not really dead set on the TC wheels yet. I guess I'm just more concerned about getting the sensors on the wheel and making sure that it'll fit and work (and the TC wheels will accommodate the sensors). I honestly do not have any experience buying new wheels for my car. I've always stuck with the wheels that came with the cars I've owned.

I've been on Tirerack's website as well as wheelmax. They have lots of nice wheels that I would really like on my Prius....BUT, again....I do not know if I can put sensors on them to work on my car.

But, yea...2,800 bucks is definitely too much for a set of 4 tires and wheels!

Vince.

9. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Now I've been shopping around online tonight and have picked out three that I like for my car thus far. Please feel free to comment on these three wheels and make suggestions on what would REALLY look cool on a 2006 SilverPine Mica Prius. :D

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, I know a thing or two (million) about wheels for the Prius. I spen lots and lots of time researching them.

First of all, the wheel sensors for a Prius will cost you $450. Keep that in mind.

Now, to keep your maximum fuel efficency, you need the lightest gear out there.

Lightest tires in a 215/45 17" size are the General Exclaim UHP. As Mike said, they weigh in at 18 pounds each (I verified this myself). This is about 5 pounds less than the average tire. They also happen to be a darn good tire, even though they are very inexpensive at about $78 each.

Finally the wheels. Some of the lightest wheels are the Buddy Club P1 Racing QF. They are a forged aluminum wheels that weighs about 13 pounds. They run about $480 each, but can be very hard to find. They are only for sale retail in Japan. A few companies can order them for you, but it costs quite a bit to ship them from Japan.

You could also get the SSR Type-C RS wheels they are about the same weight as the Buddy Club wheels, but are easier to find. You can get them from Tire Rack ( www.tirerack.com ) for $389 each.

Either way you can get a 17" wheel/tire setup that weighs LESS than stock for less than the $2800 that they quoted you.

If you need more info, just PM me.

11. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Vinny,
    Just wanted to note my experiences for you since you're looking at the Scion tC take offs.

What i've experience with my setup
    Positives:
    -Better Handling (You already probably know this)
    -Looks improved (Subjective)

Negatives:
    -Fuel Economy Hit (I'm so far have taken a 2mpg hit after 1000 miles)
    -Acceleration Loss (I only 'Feel' this, but I think it's due to heavy wheel/tire combo with tC rims)
    -Bumpier Ride (You should be expecting this)
    -Noise (Possibly quieter, but mine are very slightly louder)

My advice is to seriously consider getting a light as possible wheel/tire combo. I was personally chose the combo I have because it was the Quickest, Cheapest & Easiest combo i could find with absolutely the LEAST hassle. My wheels and tires came already assembled, balanced and ready to be put on. After my experience with the combo that is 'noticeably' heavier i'm wondering if i could get rid of the 'negatives' (with exception of bumpier ride) by getting a lighter combo. Of course you're going to sink in more cash...

What i've seen from the figures you and others have been putting up on this thread i think those numbers are 'CRAZY'! $1550?! $2800?!?!

Bottom line for me $700 (Full Set: 4 tires & Wheels and shipping from across the country (Could have been cheaper)) + $30 (Install: Because I didn't want the hassle) Total: $730

12. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not put the Scion wheel on the car unless you got them cheap on EBay, I paid $500 brand new delivered with caps and nuts. Other than that I would not have bought them. I like the 10 spoke wheel the best out of the 3 you have selected.

When my tires need replacing I might replace the wheels too and go to a real lightweight wheel to try to recapture some of the lost mileage. If it were me I would leave the tire pressure sensor off and then somehow disconnect the warning light so it was not on. I check my tires weekly and always have; I have a compressor in my garage so it is simple.

Good luck-