1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion tC Wheels on 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Technogeek, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I just finished installing the wheels from a 2005 Scion tC on my 2006 Prius. I purchased the wheels on ebay. It appears the wheels might have come with the Toyota Tire Pressure Monitors. I know the monitors were available on the 2005 tC. When I started the car after installing the wheels, I expected the Low Tire Pressure Icon to remain lit, but it disappeared as usual. I took the car for a spin around the block (about 2 miles) and there were no problems. I will try my normal 42-mile round-trip commute tomorrow to see if the Low Tire Pressure icon appears. Maybe the car needs more time to sense the pressure.

Here's a picture of the wheels on my car in the garage after a quick trip around the block. It was dark outside and was raining.

Attached Files:

2. aridon99

aridon99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ahh, the wheels look great. If I wasn't such a mileage hog, I would do the same thing :)

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put the same wheels on my '05 Tidelands. I run the pressure at 34 lbs. all the way around. Car rides great and handles a lot better than the stock rims/tires.

4. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Here's an update: I drove my normal 42-mile round-trip commute today with the Scion tC wheels. The the Low Tire Pressure icon never came on. My 2006 Prius must be picking up some readings from the Tire Pressure Monitors that are apparently installed in the tC wheels. I am happy that I did not have to move the sensors from my factory wheels to the tC wheels. B)

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Hmmm. According to the Toyota service manual, if you switch the sensors, you must register each sensor witht he TPMS control unit. Each sensor has a unique ID and the control unit won't read them if they are not registered. If you didn't reset the system after switching the tires then I'm not sure what's going on. From what I've read, if you replace even one sensor, the system will not functin and give you a warning light until that one new sensor is replaced.

That being said, I'm going to throw caution to the wind and put on my own wheels tomorrow and see what happens.

6. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I did not reset the system after installing the tC wheels. I fired up the car and waited for the error to appear, planning to reset it, and the error never appeared. At least it never appeared in the form of a low air pressure icon on the dashboard. So far I don't notice any problem.

I'm running 36 psi front, 34 rear. I agree with Cairo's observation that the car handles better with the tC wheels. Just FYI, mine came with Yokohama S32A all-season tires (215/45-17). Still a very quiet ride and smoother than I thought it would be moving from 15" to 17" wheels. The car handles better and looks better too.

Hey DocVijay, I hope you end up with good results after installing your tC wheels too.

7. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Ok, it's about 100 miles after I installed the Scion tC wheels on my 2006 Prius, and the low tire pressure warning icon came on. I will press the reset button and see if that solves the problem.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So what's the story? Did it reset? THe service manual says that each sensor must be registered with the receiver. That means you actually need the serial # that's printed on each sensor, meaning that the tire must be removed to get that number to register it.

I decide to just get the sensors swapped.

9. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

So the last two times I drove my car, (testing newly installed EV kit, and visiting the post office, without resetting the tire pressure warning system) the tire pressure warning never came back on. The first drive was 2 miles, and the second drive was 30 miles. I am going to reset the tire pressure system and drive my normal commute tomorrow (42 miles).

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Cool. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the valves switched tomorrow. That way It'll never be an issue. Also, I can see fr sure if the Scion wheels have sensors. If htey do, I'll sell 'em on eBay! The Prius ones are already registered with the receiver anway.

11. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

So I've driven another 90 miles over two days without resetting the tire pressure monitoring system, and the low tire pressure warning has not been repeated yet.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Then I'm going to go ahead and do this on Friday. I've got an air compressor and allthe tools at home, but I've been putting it off until I got the valves switched. Maybe I'll just go ahead and see what happens.

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I went to a place to have htem do it, and everyone was out sick, so I'd have to leave the car there overnight. Couldn't do that, so I'll try again tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in. I figure I may as well have the sensors switched; no need to disable the system.

14. fastnff

fastnff New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just wanted to say that I love the look of the tc wheels on your rides. My girlfriend bought an 05 that already had them on and I just picked up an 05, with stock 15", and I'm itching to find a good deal on some tc wheels. Thanks for the info, updates on this topic is appreciated.

15. BSBMPG

BSBMPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have been looking to buy the same wheels on e-bay. I think they look great! Can you please give me a little insight on the MPG loss because of the 17's over the 15's. I know there will be a little loss I am just hoping it will not be staggering. Can you tell me your old average and now your new average? Thanks!!! :)

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too installed the 17" Scion TC wheels on my Prius- I too saw an average of 3-4 MPG loss. THe TC wheel, though good looking is just way heavy. I ended up going with Ray's Gram Lite 17x7.5 wheels and my mileage returned to stock. They ended up weighing about the samer as stock and maybe a little less. Of course I paid like $1,486 for rims and tires. But aside from the mpg issue the ride also improved a lot with the lite wheels.

17. icecoldmittens

icecoldmittens New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK.... i am experiencing something similar. I just bought expensive rims and tires, that are supposed to have the sensor built in. If they do, from what i understand from here, and the manual i have to have them programed with the car. My Toyota dealer doesnt know anything, and likely wont know how to do this. So i have a few questions. First, How do you program it when they dont know how to do it? Second, Where is the actually sensor, (inside of tire, valve, outside tire? lol) Third, Lets say i have to use the factory sensors. Will i be able to take the toyota sensors that came with my factory wheels and use them with my new rims. Fourth, if i take the current sensors and use them with the new rims and buy new sensors for my factory rims (i am using them for snow tires), will the system hold both the original sensors, and the other pair i bought. FInally, lol. Lets say i get the sensors that came with my rims to work, will the system hold the information for the new sensors, and the stock wheel sensors?

Thanks everyone, Sorry i have so many questions. I really feel like i know nothing about this topic, and i just invested a lot of money into my car, and it is worrying me

18. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man- with all the postings I have seen with people having trouble with their TPMS (tire pressure monitoring syatem) I am glad the '05 does not have them. I check my tires weekly and have a compressor in my garage to maintain proper air pressure.
    Then again, I see cars everyday that have one low tire driving down the road. So I guess you have to build/regulate to the lowest common denominator.