1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scion Wheels And Tire Pressure Sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by max2prius, Dec 1, 2008.

1. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi. I am considering buying a set of OEM Scion TC 17' rims from Craigslist for my 2008 Prius so I can improve handling performance (while sacrificing 2-4 MPG's from posts I have read). Does anyone know if the Scion wheels will support the transferred tire pressure sensors from my 15' OEM wheels?

Thanks very much.

John

2. priusguru

priusguru New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    John Yes they will and may I ask how much are you paying for them? I have a set call me @ 323 707-4473

3. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

The price is $550, including new tires - from a brand new 2009 Scion.

Does anyone think doing this is a bad idea? Will the ride/ road noise be significantly worse than the stock 15" (crappy Integrities)?

Thanks

4. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For MPG, yes...but for the look, NO.
    The rim will fit on, but what you'll do with the center piece with the 'SCION' logo on it? Is the Prius stock rim piece transferrable to the new rims?

5. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The shop that did my Hymotion install (Pat's Garage in SF) had these on his Hymotion demo Prius. I got a test drive of his car. He has an upgraded suspension and the Scion rims with Kumhos. Apparently, just like with the OE Prius tires, the OE Scion tires are pretty crappy. They are geared more for handling and at that will wear out at 20,000 miles or less. You will see a hit of may 5 MPG or more. The rims do look nice and per Pat the sensors and center caps can be transferred from the Prius rims over (that is what he did for his car). Of ocurse this will require dismounting and remounting the tires I believe.

One note though is that while the Scion rim works fine with the Prius, the stock Scion tire size is wrong - I believe it needs to be stepped down one size to get the proper rotation (so your gauges are accurate).

My wife and I liked the look of this setup so much that we bought a set of nice 2007 Scion rims and tires for $400 with the plan of having Pat install them. After driving the car for a while now (we also upgraded the suspension) I am happy with the feel of the original rims and do not want to take the mileage hit (seems a bit contrary to the Hymotion install). So there is a pair of nice rims sitting at Pat's garage in SF if you are interested in them. We paid $400, with the tires, only to then learn the tires are useless to us.

6. max2prius

max2prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks for the info. I have decided to wear out my OEM's (currently 15K), then we'll go from there. I came from a performance car (03 Nissan Maxima) so the performance/handling itch is always in me.