1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scoop: automatic grill blocking for Prius G Sports

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ken1784, Sep 3, 2010.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Takuya Yura, a famous Japanese car designer who designed the Prius G Sports, is now working to make the automatic grill blocking for his Prius G Sports.

I believe it is still in an early prototyping stage, but the unit looks working now. :)

Enjoy,
    Ken@Japan

PS. I can't answer any questions about the unit, since I'm not aware it at all. :(

4 people like this.
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Smart. I expect all hybrids to have this feature in the near future.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha, I was thinking something similar... just not mechanical/electrical but a single louver with a rod to open/close it. This would be real nice and something that could be triggered by an ECU for opening and closing based on ICE coolant temp.

4. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not knocking the idea, but as point of reference...

Packard had thermostatically controlled grills in 1933, maybe earlier. Wasn't done for aerodynamics though.

I think they are also pretty common on big highway trucks.

They may show up on full sized GM pick-ups next year too.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally! I discussed this with Akihiko Otsuko last year in Detroit, who said he had considered it, but was told it was too expensive on a per-car basis. It's such a simple idea with great benefits, both in aerodynamics and thermal efficiency.

3 people like this.
  7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    LOL! Me too.

Volvos had a push-pull cable that could swing a flap up and down to cover the radiator. Today I just put a water noodle over the inlet in the fall and take out out when the temperature reaches 80F.

Bob Wilson

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Going back further.

A friends father's Volvo PV444 (about 1957) had a window shade looking device in front of the radiator, behind the grill that could be pulled up to restrict radiator airflow. Not as aerodynamically effective as blocking the airflow at the grill, but still effective.

IIRC, when you pulled it the roller shade up, the knob just hung on a cord. It has been over 50 years since I saw it though.

9. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This shoud be a standard option on all vehicles to improve warmup times and reduce drag on the highway. Mass produced, it should not add that much to the cost of a vehicle.

As it is now, manufacturers have to design the radiator openings to be large enough to handle Death Valley on a summer day (120*F+) - when in the real world, vehicles have to deal with that kind of heat load very rarely (unless you happen to live/work around Death Valley!)

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was there as well. We have had this discussion before. It's easier to talk about it than actually build one. :)

Tom

11. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A powered version of the old Volvo window shade one would be easier to make survive on the front of a car than the shuttered versions. Even the windows shade type is easier to talk about than build though.:cool:

12. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I want one!. Even if it doesnt work I still want it for the Transformer sound.

13. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW, there is an ongoing discussion of the development and installation
    a DIY version of essentially the same mechanism on ecomodder.com.

Still working out some kinks though:

Lower grill block that can open and close. :thumb:

14. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's the thread on this topic from two years ago. Mercedes now has what they call the BlueEfficiency package which includes a radiator shutter. The Volvo S60 concept car had an automatic grill shutter a couple of years ago, and the new Chevy Cruze also has one, as was pointed out. They claim a .5mpg improvement at highway speeds.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The up side is that this year's "too expensive" is next year's "must have". Air bags? Padded Dash? catalytic converter? PHEV? You name it. Too expensive is alway the unacceptable answer that quickly crumbles.

16. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if it failed to open on a hot day how would we know the car was in danger of overheating? Assuming we don't have a scanguage....love the idea by the way

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good question.

At the least, the same ways you would know if the existing thermostat stuck shut, the water pump failed or several other potential cooling system problems occurred.

You do have good a point in that it is an additional layer of complication that could cause problems. It should be designed to fail open and there should be an obvious warning that it isn't opening if it is supposed to be open.

18. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I NEED one of these NOW! The difference between driving my Prius the beginning of last week, to friday is HUGE. It was 85 the beginning of last week on the drive home, and 65 F Friday. Even with the 67 % grill blocking on Friday (versus 33 % on Monday) the car never warmed to the point where it would go into engine-off glide below 35 mph.

Of course it would need to have feed back from engine temperature to insure safe operation.

Actually, on a 2 G Prius, there should be two. One on the lower left, one on the lower right. With feedback to the one on the lower right from Engine temp. And feedback from inverter/Transmission temp on the one on the lower left.

As far as sticking, a bigger problem would be the grill block sticking rather than thermostat. Thermostats may stick temporarily but eventually snap open. Iceing (or salt corrosion in the bearings) on this grill block might not ever melt, even with a hot engine. A manual overide would be good.

19. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BMW call it 'Active Aerodynamics' and fit it on many of their models over here. Whether it's fitted or not depends on the exact model, trim, engine size and fuel type (petrol or diesel).

20. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A