1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MainePrius, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MainePrius

MainePrius New Member

Hi All-

I have a base 2007 Prius that does not have an aux in jack in the center console. To interface my iPod with my stereo I tried a crappy no name $30.00 FM Modulator and following that disappointment, a $75.00 Griffin iTrip. They both had poor reception. I decided that neither of these were an acceptable solution. I then bought a Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator from Wal-Mart for $23.00. This model plugs into your stereo's antenna input and requires a 12V power source (I tapped mine into the dash power outlet). This unit works great! I have used it for several trips now and I have not experienced any interference. There are two minor flaws; the unit takes about 10 seconds to turn on (leaving you listening to static until it powers up) and the sound is slightly flat. I have compensated for the flat sound with the iPod's built in EQ.

Hope this helps anyone looking for an Aux in solution.

2. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

The price sure does beat the Coastal E Tech's $229 solution for AUX in directly to the radio, that's for sure.

Of course, the Coastal solution includes video to the MFD, but still.

I also have a base 07, but I chose the Coastal route. Will be installing it later today. I may back out and go the Scosche route...

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 25 2007, 12:53 AM) [snapback]411818[/snapback]</div>

I'm just curious, but why spend $80 more for the Coastal unit instead of the DICE?

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

I forget exactly why, but something came up in my research to indicate I'd rather have the Coastal thing than the DICE.

5. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Mar 25 2007, 04:58 AM) [snapback]411835[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe defeating the "nanny features" of Nav and bluetooth?

6. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

No, I think it was the relative simplicity of the thing. I don't have an iPod (shame on me, a Mac user since 1988!); I use satellite radio, and might plug my kids' DVD player in. I liked the idea of having 3 simple jacks to plug anything I want into and have it work.

I ended up mounting panel jacks in the lower section of the vent trim piece that's to the right of the MFD/stereo.