1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scotchguard film on hood

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by etxprius, Mar 21, 2010.

1. etxprius

etxprius Texas Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm new so I hope this is were this issue should be addressed.
    Have a new Prius and as part of the "Protection Package" that came with the car is this scotchguard film that covers 1/2 the hood and part of the nose cone below it. can you wax this stuff? Has anybody removed it? Don't want to screw up the paint but also don't want the hood to be two different shades of Barcelona Red over time.

2. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    You can wax it and you probably should, otherwise if, in fact, the polymer you use actually does have UV protection, you will definitely have a two toned car.

Just remember to put the "wax" on with a motion away from the covered material to the uncovered car, in order to avoid a buildup under the edge of the material. Also take it off that way. I found on another car that regular waxing caused the edge to discolor because I had just forced some wax under the edge. Took a lot of work to remove and repair.

1 person likes this.
  3. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FAQs

The FAQ agrees with Joe166. Okay to wax, watch out for waxy build up.

1 person likes this.
  4. etxprius

etxprius Texas Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Appreciate the info!

5. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what's the protection package ? clear bra ? Is that something that the dealer offers ?

6. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the same material (3M) on my 2004 Grand Cherokee, the color is NOT going to change, It can be removed, if you are so inclined, so the nose of your new Prius can then 'Experience' stones, bugs, road salt, and the various and sundry debris one encounters traversing America's highways. It can, and should be waxed, just like the paint on the car. It is generally a very good thing to have, I could not get my Toyota Dealer to do it, so I have to install it myself.

7. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I have had this on all my cars and vans! I just wax it like normal.
    Great stuff I'm sold on it!
    How much did you pay for this "Protection Package" I was not offered it at my dealer?? what do you get with it??

8. RaiderRed

RaiderRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If etxprius' protection package is like mine, it is a GST (Gulf States Toyota) port installed option. Almost all of the ones you see here in
    Central Texas seem to have it. The film covers the front end and front bumper, the bottom 1/2 of the hood, side mirrors, and the 4 door handles (where fingernails scratch). It also includes some other worthless items (IMHO) like lusterizing sealant and interior protections. I do not have my sticker with me but I believe the cost for the package was $699.00. I am in agreement with other posters. I have had it on other vehicles and I enjoy the additional protection.

9. etxprius

etxprius Texas Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

10. etxprius

etxprius Texas Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Vehicle Shield Package Plus

11. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If that is 3M film with a comparable warranty, IME, that's a pretty competitive price. Add-ons you might consider are covering the door edges and rocker panels.

12. RaiderRed

RaiderRed New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your response got me to looking at the vehicle. I had not noticed before, but it is on all four door edges as well. Though not the rocker panels. Good suggestion.