1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scraped some of the bottom plates off my Prius. Any idea what replacement should cost?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MegansPrius, Dec 28, 2012.

1. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So on a drive from Chicago to Kansas in our 2007 Prius I heard some odd popping sounds, which I regretfully assumed to be the car running over chunks of ice on the road. In fact, they were screws popping out that held in the front restraint and one bottom plate that I believe are there to make the car more aerodynamic.

I know people have scraped these plates off on parking lot dividers before (which is probably how I loosened ours), and was wondering what the fix tended to cost.

We're in Pittsburgh, KS, and probably looking to get the repair done in Joplin, MO, during the next week, as I'm right now holding the undamaged plates up with bungee cords and don't really want to drive back to Chicago like that.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone on Priuschat, by the way. I haven't been back here since they changed the forum software.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This may sound cheesey or cheap, but I had basically the same problem. I took ours in for a oil change and showed the service writer (local Toyota dealer) how one of the covers was hanging down. It was damaged when I ran over part of a tire at high speed in heavy traffic. Anyway, the tech simply tied it back up to the car using zip ties like what you would use inside a computer to tie all the wires together. They advised me that in order to repair the car properly I would have to purchase the entire cover assembly and pay the labor to install. They didn't quote a figure, but did say it would not be cheap. That was over a year ago. So far no problems have occured and the zip ties are doing their job.

It won't hurt to have Toyota look at the car, but in the end you might find that simply reattaching the covers to the underside and holding them with an alternative fastener may be the easiest and cheaper route.

Good luck to you and I hope this info helps you.

Ron

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the plastic clips toyota uses are crap; i have replaced them with 6mm bolts, fender washers and lock nuts. if the holes are torn, fender washers have larger diameter and will help.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the tips.