1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scraping Snow/Ice off water-repellant windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by indianagreg, Jul 24, 2009.

1. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I searched through the water repellant threads and couldn't find anything about scraping snow or ice off the side windows with the "film" treatment. Does anyone have any idea about how scaping might affect the effectiveness and/or appearance of those windows?

2. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I sent Toyota this email:
    In package IV (2010) there are water repellent windows on the front side windows. In the winter can these be safely scraped for snow and ice, or will this damage the water repellent treatment; or alter the appearance of the window due to damaging the treatment?​
    The email response I got was this:
    We appreciate the time you have taken to email us regarding your inquiry about the water repellent window Prius.
    When scraping off snow and ice from the water repellent window, we recommend using precaution as you would with any window on a vehicle when using an ice scraper.

First, let me say that I'm thrilled that Toyota even responds to my questions; and then, within a couple of days. I really do appreciate that!

With that said, how am I to interpret the response? Does it mean that one won't damage the window film by scraping off ice and snow? Regarding "using precaution", I guess I never have really thought about that when scraping windows. (Maybe I have too much common sense, but I've always left the pick axe and the blowtorch in the garage.:D)

The response makes me wonder whether or not Toyota really has the answer themselves. I suppose that if they didn't know, (like most/all businesses) they'd be unlikely to say so (read: never). But then, I also have a difficult time imagining that they hadn't thought of this.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe the response means I have nothing to worry about!

While this isn't the biggest deal, i.e., not vital to the operation of the vehicle, I would really have appreciated a straight answer, even in this litigious society.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -- Henry VI :rip: :madgrin:

3. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread makes me happy I have a garage at home and at work for the Prius.

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think they were "using precaution" with their answer. Which most likely means they are clueless but don't want to admit it. Oh well, at least we won't need to worry about it until winter.

5. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I guess it will be best to heat up the car and get all the snow off the other parts first until the ice can easily come off the windows.

What do you guys do to get ice off of the hood? I have some light scratches all over my Corolla from trying to get ice off.

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This thread makes me happy I live in California :D

7. ancientsan

ancientsan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even in California, there's ice layers around January where I live.
    Maybe it's good to have the remote starter installed so you can defrost ahead of time.

8. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to live up north--let the engine warm up a lot, then drive about 50 mph, ice gone and enjoy the view through the mirror of the guy behind you dodging them when it lets loose! Seriously, I would avoid using any instrument to take ice off a painted surface, just get any loose snow off with a soft brush then drive reasonably slowly so the above doesn't happen too violently, and park in the sun when possible. That's not a solution, but most any ice-melt products can possibly haze the paint and any scraper (even gloved hands) will leave light scratches.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The water repellent "film" is part of the glass. While I guess you -could- scrape it off, it would be the same as scraping off the polished final layer of ordinary glass. You'd need a diamond or carbide blade. I wouldn't worry about it. In fact, it should be much easier to scrape ice off them, if you even get any on them. The ice should fall right off.

10. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you recall where you read this? I seem to recall reading somewhere in PC that film is applied to the glass. If, in fact, the film is part of the glass, then why wouldn't Toyota have included this in the windshield? Durability?

Furthermore, why wouldn't Toyota have simply stated that it was part of the glass? Again, Toyota's response seems to be deliberately vague if not evasive.

11. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well kids, winter is nigh...any new news on this one?

12. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been using an ice scraper, no problems yet.

13. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Great post - and important. Surprised (well...) that Toyota has not covered this in the manual. Hopefully it's a non-issue. But one that certainly would be appropriate for Doug's Team to address here. Snow and ice is right around the corner for many. So please don't wait to address this AFTER the OCI open issue.....

14. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Is the windshield on the 2010 as soft/prone to scratching as the one on the Gen II? I got a couple of scratches on my old windshield from scraping before I read somewhere (here? owner's manual?) that you shouldn't scrape hard on a Prius windshield.

To avoid the problem I'm thinking of getting one of those windshield covers, does anyone have any experience with those?

15. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I thought I was the only one to damage a windshield with an ice scraper. I put a big scratch right across the driver's side on my Gen2 when a little piece of the ice scraper blade broke off. It seemed ironic because the ice scraper was one I got from my insurance agent.

Don't know if it's true or not but the windshield guy told me all new windshields are softer. Something about safety requirements that require them to break more easily? I seem to go through one every few years due to rocks from trucks, etc. Glad they are covered under comprehensive.

I have never had a windshield cover but it sounds like it might work if the wind doesn't blow it off.

16. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    They are calling it WRG (Water Repellent Glass). Volvo uses it as well. It appears they are saying it is good for 5-6 years, then can be recoated. It bonds with the molecules in the glass, so shouldn't scrape off. I use plastic window scrapers only (plastic is much softer than glass) so scratches shouldn't be a problem.

So after all this, if the glass is water repellent then how does ice form on the glass? Shouldn't it just fall off? ;)

Do a search on the internet. There are a few sites that talk briefly about it. Those that have the papers on its' development want money for access ($20). I declined.

17. theDogLady

theDogLady Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought a windshield cover when I lived in NE and it worked wonderfully! It's like a thick plastic tarp and you tuck in the end in the driver's side door. Throw it over the windshield, pull it secure/taut against the windshield and tuck in the other end and shut the passenger door on it. There's about 6-10 inches on both ends that just hang inside your car. Bought it at Target for less than $10 and it went through 3 winters in NE, 3 winters in Salt Lake, and makes a very rare appearance here in WA (though it happens). It's just as useful and looks as new as when I bought it twelve years ago.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to laugh at Toyota's e-mailed response. Was that a huge non-answer?

I believe Volvo has offered vehicles with this treatment on their windows. Your best bet for information might just be to search the internet. Also my understanding is this treatment is a baked on coating more or less attached to the glass. It's durable but even under normal circumstances does have an affective life span. I seem to remember reading somewhere 5-7 years.

If it was me? I'd assume it is a coating, as durable or non-durable as it might be, and I would employ window coverings. If ice were to build up, I would use a non-abrasive method of removal. What else really can you do? Either treat it like a regular side window, or take precautions based on the idea that it has a coating that could be prematurely aged or damaged. Even if I'm waisting time, I'd error on the conservative side. Depending on the severity and frequency of snow/ice storms in your area I think simple covering your windows...with basicly anything..before a storm hits is the best bet. But if you are talking about frequent or never ending winter conditions you might not be able to do that all the time.

19. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The windshield wiper will scratch it. so it is not wise to put the film on the windshield. Toyota says scrape with caution meaning that it can be damaged if scraped too hard.

20. Grwiseman

Grwiseman New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I wish I had read this thread a couple days ago. I've had my Prius for a month - yesterday I had some frost on the windshield. I used the same ice scraper that I've used on my 4runner for 10 years and it put dozens of tiny scratches in the windshield. They aren't too noticeable unless the sun or street lights hit them but it is pretty much devastating. No notes in the manual, no words of caution from the salesman, but clearly these windows are not the same as the ones from ten years ago.

I'm upset...