1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scraping the ground

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wmcbrine, Jul 30, 2011.

1. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Driving last night, I heard this horrible scraping sound from time to time, but I couldn't stop right away. When I got home, I saw that the bottom cover (or whatever the proper name for it is) had come loose at the left front -- I assume from hitting the ground once too often (damn this low clearance). I took a pic, but it's not too clear. The front edge is frayed a bit.

Is this something the dealer should fix? And how much might it cost?

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    your roads must be horrible. ours are bad and i have never scraped the ground in 7 years. scraped the snow a few times tho! :)

3. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the horrible sound you heard...same thing happened to me when I bought my car. The first trip traveling at 65mph the air caught the plastic flap and dragged it back wards folding it under the front of the car. It sounds horrific. I thought I'd have spend a mint on replacing the under-guard plastic parts but it was a 'snap' to repair and secure properly with a couple new clips.

I think any competent mechanic can reattach it for you for $20. The hardest part is getting access under there.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It should be re-attached. It's part of the aerodynamics of the car (increasing MPGs), and it offers some protection to fragile important bits from road debris.