1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

scratched the bottom

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jjeng, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jjeng

jjeng New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I live in an apartment where there is a big bump going into the garage. Unfortunately, I drove 3 people and their luggage today and as i was pulling out, I heard scrapping from the bottom of the car. When I came back and took a look under the car, I saw that a black protective coat had been scraped off along the side, exposing the metal. I was wondering if anyone knows if this part could rust, or am I just over reacting, and if I could buy this black compound and patch it back up. I'm pretty worried since this is my first car ! Thanks to all.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Welcome new poster. As long as the metal that got 'adjusted' is not part of the drivetrain or exhaust system I would not be too concerned. Painting the spot ro applying some tar-like substance might help prevent rust in the future as you suggest. Not that it is particularly designed for such use, but I have used roofing tar this way in the past.