1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratches...already?!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kross, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Kross

Kross New Member

After only TWO days of my normal rush-hour commute (back and forth from work), my beloved Prius has taken on some war marks. Today while driving home I saw a tiny pebble bouncing along in front of me on a PACKED freeway. Unable to really do anything (other than hit the breaks, which I did) I watched helplessly as it bounced off my hood. I was weeping (on the inside) the whole ride home.

Once I got home, I got out to check out the damage. Instead of the one scratch that I was expecting, I noticed two scratches on my front hood. The scratches aren't just on the paint that can be buffed out, but are down to the metal as you can see in the pictures. They aren't big enough to be visible by just standing in front of the car but they aren't small either. Plus the metal is exposed which increases the chances of paint chipping and rust.

Any ideas anyone? Any help would be greatly appreciated! What to do, what to get done, ideas as to what kind of place to go to get it done, estimated cost, etc. etc, ANYTHING...?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I cry with you.

I had a clear bra put on my car right after I got it and the hood stayed pristine.

Then I had an accident and the hood had to be replaced. The shop said not to put another clear bra on it for 30 days. I have two small chips on the hood now. Haven't bothered to replace the clear bra. What's the point of spending $800 when the hood is already chipped?

I don't know what to tell you. Do you want to spend the money to have the hood repainted? I'm not doing anything about the chips. I might get a paint pen. I haven't decided.

3. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Check this out.

repair chips and minor scratches

by David W. Bynon
    Copyright ©, 2000, Autopia Car Care -- All Rights Reserved

http://autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

Moderator (tag) note: Sorry folks but you'll have to go to the site listed above, download the ebook, Autopia Guide to Detailing, and register to read the article. The Guide is protected under U.S. copyright laws and no part may be copied without the express written consent of the author.

Edit: Ooops, sorry bout that.

4. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Install a clear bra, its not too late. You will still need to be careful for the windshield, but you won't need to worry about bugs.

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Get a clear bra.

Paint pens work really well too.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya i stopped worrying about chips after i got my 5th one. cant see em from more than 10 feet away anyway...

that is the drawback of hand washing your own car, you dont miss a thing

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i'd suggest a touch up pen from the dealer.

it's hard to get it perfect but you can get close and from a distance you won't see it.

i also had a real hard time with my first new car damage (door ding, which i now have 3 of) and various scratches still irk me (the one i can't figure for the life of me where it came from) but hey, it's still beautiful- it's a prius! :D

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the ongoing saga of carpooling, the woman I ride with wears rings. The passenger doors - both of them - have scratches inside the handle wells. Since I rarely get over to that side and it's been too cold to do a thorough washing, I didn't notice until my wife parked next to me and mentioned them.

Geez, now I have to try and tell this woman that she can't wear rings when she's riding in my car. It's not that the paint's weak. She's just not careful with her own stuff much less someone else's. And then she's probably going to get all huffy and probably tell all the poeple at work that I'm all bent out of shape because of my precious car.

I just can't win.

9. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i bought the paint pen after noticing 2 little spots....i'm telling u it matched almost 100% with my red salsa.. no one can hardly see it.....i bought the invisible bra.... so i will be installing it myself pretty soon.... with the zaino...i think its pretty awesome....try the paint pen....& i'm sure u will be happy ......& then put the invisible bra on for protection :D

10. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't install the invisible bra yourself! Having watched pro's do it and all the tools they use, unless you have experience installing tint you need a pro to do it. For one all the protectatnts etc need to be stripped from the paint in order to make the product adhere properly, its just not worth it.

As for the rings, you can have the clear bra product applied to the door handle cups too.

You can also get the paint pens online from www.paintscratch.com