1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratching Sound from Driver's Side Dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dragonflyz, May 16, 2012.

1. dragonflyz

dragonflyz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is a true scratching sound...not a buzz or a whine or a squeak. I hear it mainly when the car hasn't been driven for several hours, and it is a constant sound (not intermittent). When I cut the power off, the sound stops immediately. It also eventually stops if I drive long enough (say 30 minutes to an hour). It seems to be coming from the driver's side dash, but I suppose it could be coming from some component under the hood on the driver's side. Of course, my service department is over an hour away and the sound has stopped by the time I get there. They did check for any signs of rodents, but everything was clean. But as I said, the sound stops as soon as the power is cut. I would appreciate any suggestions (PLEASE).

2. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you bring a passenger along to hunt for the sound while you drive?

Maybe posting a recording of the sound might help.

If you're about to give up and shoot the car, there are microphones that you can place about the car to isolate the source of the noise (see for example Automotive Noise Detection Tools and Meter)

You might ask your local mechanic if he has a set you can borrow.