1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scratching up front undercarriage.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Superdrol, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius sits lower than I give it credit for. My corolla type S never had issues and I thought that sat pretty low as well. The front portion of the car is full of scratches due to it being scrapped. I was looking under yesterday and one of the plastic cover panels is sagging and it appears that a clip is missing or got pulled off (could be both). Has anyone else encountered this ?

I wasnt sure if I have to bring it in to the dealer to refasten. I cannot see very well under the car but I figure it is only a matter of time before it snags something.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't usually have problems with severe scraping. If the fastener that holds the underbody plates has been lost you can buy a new one and install it yourself. It is quite easy to do. :)

3. civicferio

civicferio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

After seeing countless of Prius lower front bumper scrapes from the curb. I'm extra careful when I approach those parking stops and drive up diagonal on steep driveways. The front of my Prius is ok so far but there is no escape from rock chips from the freeway. :(

4. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My driveway is steep enough that now matter what angle I enter the driveway, I scrape. The bottom of the front of my 5 month old car is ragged, nothing I can do about it. Is there?:confused:

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. Hanging low. I have scraped it a few dozen times, mostly going up and down DH's steep driveway. I don't do that anymore since I have figured out an angle where it doesn't scrape.

6. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My situation isn't from a driveway but just general parking. If yu have a steep driveway it is probably a lost cause bc of the mechanics of the car. As long as nothing is broken or hanging and it is just scratches then I guess it's not the end of the world. I'll have to reattch the panel though.

7. firemechanic

firemechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mine scrapes also but no worse than my 2005 Camry. I just walked out and measured both and there is only a 1/4" difference. I just learned to be careful when parking close to curbs.

8. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I now park about 2 feet from the curb after that first dreadful scraping. I'm forever scarred by the noise.

9. fed123

fed123 Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I scrapped the bottom one day while parking and about three days later some piece under there started dragging on the highway as I was doing 70 mph in the left hand lane. Not expensive to fix but certainly learned my lesson about parking.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You'd see better if you get rid of 5% limo tint, especially the 5% brow that goes 1/3 the length of the front windshield.

11. Superdrol

Superdrol Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I found that if I remove the tint all together and just drive completely blindfolded that seems to be the best form of 'sunlight reduction'. Does that make sense ? If not let me know.