1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screeching P-Brake and another question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ystasino, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The mechanic at Mr Tire managed to drive over the parking brake of my cold Prius for about 100 feet today producing a screeching sound that could be heard from indoors. I wonder if she caused lasting damage, though everything seemed to be in working order after that.

Now the second question is about a not-so-sharp and not-so-loud break noise that can be heard when I floor the brake pedal, which I do with some frequency to try and shut the engine down. I don't know if it only happens with the car cold as I rarely drive it long distances these days and haven't noticed. The car has 21000 miles on it and it's a 2007 Prius.

Should I get it looked at? I need an oil change and was wondering if I should go to Toyota for the first time.

As always thanks for your help,
    Yiannis

2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't hurt to have it looked at. It's still under the 3/36k.

I took mine in at 5k miles and my brakes were out of adjustment from new they told me(different dealer).

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Driving 100 ft with the parking brake on won't hurt anything. In fact, it could do it good, wearing away oxide buildup in the rear drums. The drums may be dirty, with brake dust building up inside, which may cause the noise.

If you are stopped and press hard on the brake pedal you will often trigger the brake boost pump. It's electric, not vacuum. Nothing unusual. Doesn't cause any problems.