1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Screwed myself out of a 600 mile tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusham, Aug 8, 2005.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Last Friday - with 400+ miles on my "megafilled" gas tank - I decided to take my daughters for a fun trip to the Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio.

We got to the park with 2 fuel bars remaining, 575 miles on the ODO, and 53.5 MPG showing. As I parked the Pri, the second fuel bar went off, leaving me with one!

My last fillup was a megafill at 11.5 gallons. So at the MPG rate I had, I should have been able to go 615 miles with fumes remaining.

Unfortunately, you know how tollroads/turnpikes work. The fuel stops are few and far between, and overpriced. There was simply no way to stretch that at 11PM, as we started to drive back to Michigan.

So I gave up and found a place selling gas at just $2.24 per gal. About 0.15 less than every other place I'd observed around Sandusky.

The pump autoshutoff at 9.671 gallons. Deciding to do another mega fill, I forced 11.14 gallons of gas into the car and was rewarded with the dreaded backsplash. Don't think I'll do that dumb thing again! Or at least I'll listen more carefully to the fuel gurgle.

As always, here is my lifetime fuel history in all its exported Excel Spreadsheet glory... http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm