1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scrubbing the gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SharkRodeo, Jul 4, 2024 at 1:11 PM.

1. SharkRodeo

SharkRodeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2009 Prius that has seen better days.
    An entire year ago one dealership told me I had bad gas and should have them drop and scrub my tank. (They wanted $1099!)
    Fast forward a year and countless amounts of money and I'm at home with it again. I'm almost ready to drop my tank but I am having trouble finding out whether it is wise, or even possible to clean because all of the posts I have found are just about replacement.

Is it possible to Clean and scrub the Prius tank and replace it?
    Any helpful info or links?
    Thank you so much.

Please help me save myself from myself.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Probably not It has a bladder in it kind of like a well tank or a pressure control water tank with a bladder It's very similar You can't replace the fuel pump or the sending unit generally when the tank is fubar it gets replaced New ones are expensive 16, 1800. ones out of other cars are well questionable at Best. So cleaning is probably not an option trying to find a tank out of a matrix or a Yaris or a vibe or something like that seems like it may be a much better thing I don't know I haven't had time to fool with it yet I'm sure I'm going to see soon.