1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Scuffs on interior plastic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Roger3125, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

I can appreciate the cost savings by using plastic in the interior but lately I've been noticing several scuff marks on the dash where wife places her large purse, on doors where people drag their legs past, just about any place there is plastic on the interior.

Am I the only one? Others that have experienced the same can you share with me how you clean these marks off the plastic?

Thanks all
    roger3125

2. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So far I've just been using a bit of water and some elbow grease to get the scuffs of made by my shoes or jeans. By the way, tell the wife not to put her big purse on the dash :) ...I put mine behind the seat because I don't want scuff marks, to impede my visibility range, or see the purse come flying down off the dash spilling contents all over the inside of the car.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for the door sills.

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put guards on the door sills and claean the dash and glove compartment doors with plain water.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another flaw is the cloth door handles and center armrest get drity fast...

6. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Apr 10 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]237758[/snapback]</div>
    I was going to mention the fabric used but one problem at a time.

To clarify my scuff locations, my wife doesn't put her purse on the the dashboard she puts it where the passengers feet go. While passing it to there it rubs against the bottom of the lower glove box. It is there that I am getting scuff marks along with the other locations..on lower doors, on inside of back door, etc.

As for the material, I can't make any sense of it. Is it stain reisistant? Is it hardy and will stand up to wear? Will the stains come out easily with water? I guess I will have to put it to the "granddaughters test" and see for myself.

The middle box and doors I have accepted as a 'given' that they will need to be replaced in the future. My Prius is only 4 weeks old so for now everything is fine except for the scuffs. And the CleaBra...my God if you don't have it I heartily recommend you get it.

Also got the chassis thingie but can't find someone to put it on for me. Anyone know somebody in Orange County, CA that could help me out?

Happy trails to all
    Roger3125

7. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

I get scuffs where the seat belt repository.. where it clips into.. rubs on the center console. I guess I tend to rub it against the center console as I shift around. For now, I've put a cardboard folder with work junk inside inbetween it and the console. I may put a piece of the one sided sticky felt, like you have for under furniture or a lamp. Just put it on the backside of the seatbelt thingy.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    most of the marks that happen on my car (door sills, occasionally seats or carpet) are from someone's greasy work boots.

he brought home a can of throttle body cleaner for me to use at home that works very well to get rid of any spots he doesn't see when he's cleaning up after himself. spray a little bit on a rag, wipe a couple of times, oil disappears. just make sure to leave the windows open for a while to air the car out! :eek:

for water soluble things i just use water and a rag. before i put seat covers on i had spilled some chocolate on the seat and it came right out with water and a rag. now with the seat covers i don't really worry that much anymore ;)

9. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 10 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]237788[/snapback]</div>

UH OH... DH, you're in trouble.. Better bring flowers

10. queenie

queenie New Member

I just wanted to add my excellent experience with the seat fabric (although I'm interested in how everyone is dealing with scuffs in the plastic, too).

A couple of weeks ago I stopped for groceries and left Albert the Wonderpug in the car. I was in the store about a half-hour and when I got back to my car, there were little bloody pawprints all over the front and back seats. It was apparent that the blood wasn't newly fresh (starting to brown). I got Albert home and checked him out and then went out to deal with the blood stains. They cleaned right up with cold water and a sponge.

I never did figure out what Albert did to himself or even what part of his body he had injured (he's all black).

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Apr 10 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]237764[/snapback]</div>
    wow and here we thought Toyota changed the dash material to avoid scuffing like it does on our 04/05s. The only pro-active solution is to get the leather covers for the glovebox off Robin at her ebay shop.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has anyone dealt with scrapes in the 03/04/05 dash? I have more than just the occasional scuff but actually digs in the dash. Before I try to cover them with something that's going to look worse, I would like to hear what others have used.

By the way, under the black it's white.

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My scuffs come out well enough with Windex. When I tried Magic Eraser the area didn't match.

Gouges through the outer layer sound permanent...

14. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 11 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]238201[/snapback]</div>
    It's not white that I know of. If you stress it, it may have a whitish appearance, but I've carved on various parts of the dashes of my 04 and 06, and the panels are black plastic.

15. ml86

ml86 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ Apr 13 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]238976[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talonts @ Apr 13 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]238976[/snapback]</div>

I bet it is obvious I am a rookie at this posting/replying thing.

At any rate, regarding the fabric getting dirty easily and quickly: I got the leather seats and then the Toyota mechanic told me that the fabric arm rests get dirty in a hurry and I should ScotchGard them. Good thinking but instead I went to a local upholstery shop and had them add leather to the front arm rests and console so they would at least wear similarly to the seats. It was relatively inexpensive. (I have no kids and few passengers so I skimped on the rear arm rests). If this car is like my previous ones (Toyota Pick Ups before they were even called Tacomas, Camary) I'll mainly need advice on how to get donut glaze out from between the seats. Someone mentioned, Windex. That will work on the dash?

16. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

A couple of things. There is a leather cover available for the center armrest on eBay. I have one, and it totally covers the fabric part and looks great. You can also get covers for the armrests, but they are apparently harder to put on, and I haven't gone there yet myself.

For the scuffs on the plastic, I've found that a microfibre cloth and a little water works just fine for cleaning.

-Roger

17. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rogerSC @ Apr 16 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]240626[/snapback]</div>
    Roger...us corresponding my get a little confusing but thanks for the tip. I tried it and it worked for the faint scuffs but not for the deeper ones that came from god only knows.

Again thanks
    Roger

18. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Apr 11 2006, 02:25 PM) [snapback]238219[/snapback]</div>
    the secret is to wash the area with clean water on a piece of cloth after you clean it with the Magic Eraser. It leaves a slight residue that you need to wash off.

19. nc_driver

nc_driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I lean my left arm on the door panel when I drive, and apparently the sunscreen I used dissolved a spot (about the size of a dime) in the dark red coating on the door panel. It shows the underlying black plastic color, and looks pretty lousy -- and the car is less than a year old! I'm not sure how to hide this spot, or even if I should care, but it still bothers me that the paint is that fragile.

20. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nc_driver @ Apr 17 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]241233[/snapback]</div>
    that's a known issue- bring it in to the dealer and let them know. they'll replace that panel.