1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SE Everywhere

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by seanwachob, Aug 23, 2004.

1. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

Does anyone know if there are any smart entry type locks you can buy for home use? Walking up to my front door and having it unlock when I put my hand through the handle would be the coolest thing ever. I've seen systems that are battery powered and have fobs where you have to press a button (like this), but nothing so simple as the prius entry system.

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    While not a system for a home as yet, you probably can buy the pieces you would need. Texas Instruments has the RFID devices, add a power supply, and a magnetic door latch and you probably could build your own.

Probably won't be cheap but all the pieces are readily available.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Try this:
    http://www.hidcorp.com/products/smart/prox...ifare_card.html

I am aware of multiple security access technologies, but most of them require PIN/biometrics/card scan and all of them are geared towards business and large-scale installations.

This is what I've found that indicates proximity-but-not-touching card reading and access. I'm not sure what's driving it in the background.

[addendum]
    I asked a security guy systems installation guy here at work and he pointed me here:
    http://www.indala.info/products/flexpass/f...nge-reader.html

4. seanwachob

seanwachob New Member

I don't really want to go with something that requires me to change and bring power to the latch. I was looking for something that would mount on the door side, and preferably work with batteries.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can buy a monkey and teach it to open the door when you walk up. I won't mention here what it can throw at intruders. :-D

6. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :lol: :lol: LOL!!!! :lol: :lol:
    Good one! 8)

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ROFLMAO :) :) :)

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

9. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are two basic types of RFID devices: Active and Passive.

Active have power source in the portable transmitter; while passive reflect the radiated power from the controller. The SE/SS is of course active.

Either type of "tag" can be used in a variety of applications with cost and distance between the tag and the receiver antenna the driving factor.

Typically, passive tags are short range and relatively low cost. Few will work at distances greater than a meter. Active tags tend to cost much more but some provide read/write range up to several hundred feet. It all depends on what you need to accomplish and how large your budges is. TI will sell you a "getting started" kit for a couple hundred bucks.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  11. Sev

Sev Junior Member

Locks that work with Homelink

Does anyone know of an electronic lock for the entry door of your house that would work with the Homelink transmitter in the Prius? Sure would be nice to not have to take your keys out to get in to the house since they are already put away and not used as a result of SE/SS.

12. bookrats

bookrats New Member

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

Re: Locks that work with Homelink

This might work, from Smarthome - an IR deadbolt:

http://www.smarthome.com/5180b.html

-m.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

No good! You still have to click the remote. We want doors that recognize you, open as you approach, close behind you, and tell you to have a nice day in the voice of your favorite sex idol.

15. rflagg

rflagg Member

Well, the suggestion was for Sev who was looking for something to interact with the Homelink rearview mirror, not necessarily an RFID tech.

-m.

16. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For the homelink rearview mirror you need RF control, not IR control.

Kwikset apparently makes one:
    http://www.kwikset.com/website/asp/kw_pdp_...e+Keyless+Entry

There is also one called the Weiser Powerbolt 3000, though I don't see it on their website (the website one has a numeric keypad, as far as I can see).

I'm very tempted ... Sev, do let us know if you try it out.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont know that i would want something like that.

imagine this. your front door fob is in your pocket. you receive a knock on the door late one night. you walk to the door to see who it is through the peep hole and the door bursts open (now that the fob has unlocked it) and its a home invasion robbery.

i guess that is why all door locks seem to have some sort of user intervention.

18. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well if it worked like the car, then walking up to the door doesn't make it unlock - much less burst open! ;-).

You have to place your hand on the section inside the door handle while you have the fob very close by. So you'd be just as likely to do that (or not) as you would to open the door to someone the old fashioned way -- you retain control.

FYI the above is for use with the homelink remote (per Sev's question), not the touch switch type of unlocking that the Prius SE uses (per seanwachob's question at the beginning of this thread).

I looked again at the locks, and it seems that the Weiser one isn't made any more though maybe you can still buy it? The Kwikset one is still available - but says to call Homelink customer service to check whether it'll work with your car or not. They're not open right now ...

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you're right the door doesnt open by itself and that is not what im suggesting.

if the fob is in the area of the door, anyone can open it. that is what i am suggesting. the door cant tell if the door is being opened by the fob owner or someone else so someone on the other side could open the door as soon as the fob gets close enough. obviously in a car where there will not be the case of people inside and out that isnt a concern. but the system would have to be modified to work in a house.

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

that brings up an interesting question regarding the ss/se - if someone were locked inside the car, and the fob was on the outside, could they unlock the car by opening with the inside handle? I don't think so, since there's no sensor - at least that's my assumption of how the ss/se works for the prius. But, an interesting (although not necessarily important regarding the car) question nonetheless.