1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sealed AGM UPS battery in a pinch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by aaroncv3, Jul 10, 2016.

1. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota wants $300+ for Gen 2 Prius 12V replacement battery.

assuming you were in a pinch and with limited access to tools, could you/would you reconnect to:
    • a 7.5Ah 12V sealed AGM UPS battery (or 2 in parallel)?
    • an x Ah 12V portable jumpstart battery?
    • "either might technically work"
    • "neither, and you're an idiot to try it!"
    to make it home from your road trip and install something more appropriate?

thoughts and experiences appreciated!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Even as we speak, there is a thread with a sealed AGM battery hissing because it is red hot, in the passenger compartment of someone's Prius.
    I worry for his loved ones and I worry for yours.

12V battery dead? | PriusChat

The right battery is an investment in the lives and well being of your passengers.

aaroncv3 likes this.
  3. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for your concern. not all my ideas are sound!

i did see that thread, but missed that the battery in question was a sealed AGM.

fyi, no prius 12V battery failure, just a preparedness question.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You want a S46B24R battery

Optima DS46B24R Optima battery direct fit replacement for Prius 2004 to 2015 , Prius V & Plug-in Prius with Instructions

Exide AGM Car Battery (Group S46B24R)

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-platinum-agm-battery-410-cca-s46b24r/

AGM Toyota Prius Auxiliary Battery - Made in the USA: BatteryMart.com

and many more.

These batteries are vented, (there is tubing in the Prius to vent out side the car) AGM batteries with JIS posts rather than the usual SAE posts, so replacement is both safe and easy, if not cheap.

5. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ah! vented!

great tip. pat yourself on the back, you may have saved lives today! much appreciated

6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    • The 7.5 Ah battery might work in a pinch, but would be too small to last long.
    •On another hand, a sufficiently larger "sealed" general-purpose (used for UPS and many other purposes) 12V AGM can be decent replacement, as long as it fits the space, is securely mounted, and is vented.
    • The jumpstart thing would get you started with a failing battery, but, besides being small, is probably the wrong chemistry and voltage to coordinate long-term with the car's 12V system. I'd be afraid to leave one connected longer than necessary to boot up the car.

You surely can read a lot of silly alarmist nonsense here! All so-called "sealed" AGM batteries are designed to vent if necessary. The "red-hot" battery in the other thread is apparently the same brand and model second-most commonly recommended for Prii. Why it got hot is unclear, although we can guess.

aaroncv3 likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    8 d cells in a pinch. or a rechargeable power tool 12v battery. btw, you can buy the oem for under $200. or an optima, duracell or other may be even cheaper.

aaroncv3 likes this.
  8. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that a legitimate replacement is the way to go, as a permanent solution. As you caught, the question was about a temporary situation.

Where can I find information about OEM battery capacity?

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch, sounds like you need to change your dealer! Here's my experience, I noticed that something was wrong when my SKS started acting flakey, and despite changing batteries (in both fobs) the SKS would only work when it felt like it! …and then early one morning (yup, just as the sun was rising!) when I eventually was able to get into the car (2009 Gen II) (using the hidden key in the fob - see user destruction manual p. 34) imagine my surprise :eek: when MFD lit up like Yule Tree, red triangles yellow squares, green stars etc. etc, all very pretty, but I had an inkling that something might be wrong! (I suppose the dim dome-light might have also clued me in!), so I turned to my trusty jump-starter power source (see threads passim) which I purchased from BatteryMart.com, and got the Prius to "Ready" and off we went! The jump-starter is about the size of a paper-back-book, and I've used it a number of times to get other folk out of trouble (without having to risk the sensitive electronics of my Prius) for instance when someone (damsels in distress) asks me for a jump-start! Anyway, I took the car into my local dealer and asked them to do a load test on the battery, which they did, and confirmed that it was on its last legs (never been changed so it was about 6 years old). Bill for battery was $240 which included labour and testing! (…and the work comes with dealer warranty)

aaroncv3 likes this.
  10. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I enjoyed reading your post!

$300 is what the dealer told me a month ago. I shared the diagnostic codes here and most agreed the battery was probably fine.

Still, not completely rejecting the dealer's claim, I've kept in mind that no battery is immortal. As I'll be headed to CA from TX in a couple weeks, I thought consideration of a backup would be prudent. If my 12V gave out, will other 12V power sources I'm traveling with get me out of a jam? That lead me to post this question!

I'm actually more worried about the HV battery on my trip. Prius exhibits the common signs. Having to repair, being geographically between my old home and my new home, would be unkind to me of the failing cell(s)!

11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After reading the last paragraph of your post, I can only advise you to read up as much as you can about grid charging and reconditioning your Traction Battery. Prolong Battery Systems. Extending the life of your hybrid. – Hybrid Automotive is a good place to start! Good luck! ;)
    PS: I don't work for Hybrid Automotive, athough I do use their products (…and so far (touch-wood!) my car's Traction Battery is in pretty good shape! …I just hope it stays that way!:rolleyes:)

aaroncv3 likes this.
  12. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    $419 for a battery reconditioner is, i'm sure, money-in-the-bank. unfortunately, i don't have the money, in the bank, until August, after my drive! I also don't have access to grid power where my car is parked.

My new place has a garage. I'm excited that I can do garage-things now! This may sound strange, but I look forward to tackling HV and 12V battery issues... but after the move, in my own garage!!!

EDIT, ADDING: HV performs much better with the A/C off, I observed today. Go figure. Also observed its super hot in the South. lol