1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sears Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ggrimaud, Sep 20, 2004.

1. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

I picked up my 05 Tideland BC Prius on Saturday! :mrgreen: Way cool car! It is defiantly worth the wait.

I have been trying to get my Sears garage door opener to listen to the remote built into the Prius with no luck. I was wondering if anybody else has been able to make it work?

I have a Sears/Craftsman model 139.5398511 that I installed last month when my old opener died. It has a rolling code remote, but I haven't been able to find the "HomeLink" anywhere in the manual. The manual talks about the "Security+ remote" and warns not to use a "non rolling code transmitter" but nothing about HomeLink.

I have tried both rolling code and non-rolling code instructions in the Prius owner’s manual. I have tried to follow the instructions in the Sears manual. I even erased all the codes in the Sears unit and reprogrammed all of my existing remotes. I have even tried the instructions from the HomeLink site. I even tried instructions I have found for programming Gene door openers. No joy! :x

Has anybody had success with Sears garage door openers?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggrimaud\";p=\"40681)</div>
    I don't have the book with me at the office. The car is at home. The programming instructions for the Homelink are around page 194 of the manual.

It took me a while to program my garage door openers (non Sears) which have rolling codes. The instructions were not the clearest. You first have to teach the Homelink unit the code for the door opener and then program the door opener to recognize the Homelink signal.

First, hold the current door opener within two to three inches from the Homelink unit. Press the button on the remote control and simultaneously press the Homelink button you are programming for about 20 -30 seconds. Make sure that it is not the battery side of the remote control that is facing the Homelink unit. Watch the red light on the Homelink. It will start out as a solid red. Then it will start to blink. Keep holding the buttons on both units until the speed of the flashing red light on the Homelink changes (I don't remember if it is from slow to fast or vice versa). Let go of the buttons.

Now, follow the programming instructions for the garage door opener and teach it to recognize the Homelink signal.

It took me a couple of hours to program my first door and only a minute to program the second one.

Good luck.

3. Vernon

Vernon New Member

The Homelink works with my Sears opener, which also uses a rolling code. As I recall, I had to get out the ladder and press a button on the door opener itself (the box on the celing) to program the device.

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vernon\";p=\"40752)</div>
    Likewise for me; that's how it's done.

5. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found that I could only put my garage door on the large center button..

Bob Andersen

6. edrum

edrum New Member

I was able to program both my older non rolling sears garage door opener and my new rollling code sears garage door opener in my car. The newer door took some time to program, and it doesn't work as well as the older door. I can open the old door opener from the end of the driveway (200 ft) but I need to be much closer to the new door opener for that to work, and have to hold the button down several seconds.

And I use button one and two, not the center button. I haven't programmed that one yet. I want to set up my x10 receiver first so I can trigger the lights.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggrimaud\";p=\"40681)</div>
    I don't have a Sears but the thing I learned from my experience is to follow the directions in the owners manual exactly. Do the non rolling code first. Follow that by the rolling code. Do it like the manual tells you assume nothing read it three times and get help, that helps take a bet of pressure off even if your wife thinks you are a major geek. Don't worry she already knows you are a geek she married you anyway.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"41000)</div>
    Excellent advice.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"41000)</div>
    Mine just said, as she was helping me struggle with the setup instructions by pushing the button on the Homelink unit as I was on the step ladder pushing the button on the door opener: "Why can't you just use the regular garage door opener gizmo?" She really does not get it.

9. ggrimaud

ggrimaud New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"40748)</div>
    Thanks 10132003, yours were the hints that worked with my Sears unit. The magic is to keep waiting until the LED starts to flash fast!

Now I just have to break myself of the habit of opening the sun glases cubby where I used to store the remote. :oops:

10. mrtom

mrtom New Member

Another piece of magic that may be useful...

Armed with my Sears opener manual, the Prius manual, and the information from this thread, I set out to program my the homelink, only to be derailed at step one: the LED never started to blink, no matter how long I held down the buttons.

Our Pontiac also has a homelink opener, which I had never set up, so I went and checked it's manual. Pontiac has a step 1 that the Prius manual does not: hold homelink buttons 1 and 3 down for 20-30 seconds until the LED starts to blink. This erases the homelink memory and reinitializes it. (Actually, this is in the Prius manual, but at the end of the section, not as a necessary first step.)

After doing this procedure, I was able to program both the Priis and Bonneville buttons in about 5 minutes.

Tom

11. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Curious. Mine worked right out of the chute. Of course I have a boring 20 Y/O old non rolling code Sears opener so there wasn't much fancy to do.

I wonder how yours could have been thinking it needed to be cleared. In any case, thanks for posting it because I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't even think about the possibility if their initialization didn't work.

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My sears opener (with rolling code) works great. I programmed all three buttons so it would work no matter what.

Nate