1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seaside BC or AM 8/9/04 Gorham NH

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by bruceha_2000, Sep 21, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Date Ordered: Aug 9, 2004
    Dealer Ordered From: Berlin City Toyota, Gorham, NH
    Timeframe given for delivery: Many months, getting 1-3 in per month
    Color: Prefer Seaside, not black, white or Tideland
    Option Package: BC or AM
    Your # on Dealer's Waiting List: 25

I put this order in at 4 dealers, told them all, first one with a car wins. Did not expect to hear from Berlin first, given the wait list and # of cars they were getting.

David called Monday, Sept 13 to see if I would take a Driftwood BC. Others higher on the list that would take a Driftwood didn't want the BC package. I pondered 9 or so years of owning the car and it not being Seaside and decided I didn't care THAT much as who knows when I could get one so I said I would take it. I then cancelled at the other dealers.

David called back yesterday morning, Sept 20 with VIN and said the car would be in no later than Friday, maybe by today (9/21). He called again around 5 to say that as he left work, the car carrier was coming in, with my car and another 2004 Prius. As the dealer is a few hours away, I can't whip over and get it today, I will be picking it up Friday. Total wait: 45 days.

It must be one of the last '04s made. I guess some would mind it not being an '05 but as there are no differences in the BC package or the base car, I'm just as happy to save the '05 model year price increase :)

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The wait is no fun at all (I waited 5 months). You won't reget the decision.

Enjoy you new car.

3. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't understand this. How can you be #25 on a list that runs 1-3 per month and be offered a car in just over 1 month?

4. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Read it again. No one else (so the dealer said) wanted a BC. This is the problem with the lists. They accumulate many combined requests and offers. None of them are actual orders to build a specified car.

Enjoy yours. I got my 2004 less than two weeks ago. No problems and no service bulletins. The Nav DVD was version 3.3 which includes Canada.

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well read this: I find it really hard to believe that out of 25 people ahead of him on the list, not one wanted a BC. Especially since I'm one of them.

I think that bruceha paid over MSRP and that he and Berlin City should fess up to that.

6. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bruce... you will enjoy the Driftwood.. it changes colors in the different light... BUT more you will LOVE being a Prius owner... Congrats on your new car....

Bob Andersen

7. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k\";p=\"41452)</div>
    Like hell I did!
    Call me a liar again and I'll sic the rabbit on you (it is not a pet, just happened to be in the garden today. It is a wild animal and probably VERY vicious). :)
    I told all 4 dealers I gave deposits that I would NOT pay over MSRP and as it happens ALL of them told me they wouldn't even take an order for over MSRP. One had a lady that wanted to give them $3K over and they told her to get on the list because they don't do business that way.

The 2 cars that came in this week were my Driftwood BC and a Tideland AM. The list is now about 15 and they are getting 3-5 a month.

What colors are you willing to take? Do you have a deposit at Berlin City? If not, I would suggest you call David Coulombe. Of course he can't predict what will come in any more than any other dealer.

8. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here is a picture of the new car. That's my wife Janet (the original Nav lady) on the left with our salesman David Coulombe. He doesn't work Fridays, but offered to come in since we couldn't come on the weekend.

I got a 'mere' 54.3 mpg on the 130 mile trip back home.

9. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nooooo! Not the rabbit!!

My apologies bruceha, I'm sorry suspected you.

I bet quite a few of those 25 people would have taken it if asked, so you gotta admit it sounds pretty fishy. But if I were in your shoes I would have done the same as you.

I'll have to have a talk with the gang at Berlin City. I think they have some explaining to do.

Hope you enjoy your car.

10. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"41716)</div>
    Careful, men -- that rabbit's dynamite. (Nasty sharp pointy teeth!) :mrgreen:

11. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k\";p=\"41721)</div>
    OK, I'll call off the rabbit. I don't know where it is anyway :)

I asked David how I got up the list so fast when he first called, as I was VERY surprised to hear from him so soon. If I understand correctly, they keep track of who wants which package(s) and which colors are acceptable. If you said "I want a Salsa BC", maybe they don't call to see if you might have changed your mind on what would be acceptable.

I had said "BC or AM only, Seaside prefered, will not take black, white or Tideland". Apparently they went down the list looking for people that would take a Driftwood and people who would take a BC. I don't know if they called the "Driftwood is OK" people that had specified another package to see if they wanted it or just found the first intersection of color and package.

My local dealer didn't even care to hear what I wanted, he wrote down MSRP, refundable $500 deposit, nothing else. When you get to the top of the list, they call whether it is a base package or BC, red or white, it doesn't matter. If you don't want it, they call the next person in line until whatever cars allocated to them that day are taken.

12. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the lesson here is that the Smart Prius Shopper doesn't go the waiting list route. Call a bunch of dealers, say you'll pay MSRP, and wait for the phone call. It introduces a little competition to the process, which is good for the consumer.

I think my wait is almost over anyway, and all's well that ends well they say.

13. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not quite. Almost all, if not all, WILL have a list and they WILL want a (make sure it is refundable) deposit of $500 or more.