1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seaside Oregon to Phoenix AZ

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Mar 21, 2010.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Left Seaside on 031910 at 0332 hours, arrived in Meza Arizona, which is near Phoenix Arizona on 032010 at 1545 hours.

Total miles from the first fillup to the last in Fontana CA came
    to 1392.1 miles / used preciously, filled up to the neck at the beginning and at Fontana CA, took 28.952 gallons, for 48.08 MPG.

Car was loaded three people and luggage, estimated at 750 lbs.

Speed were of course highway from 65-78 MPH on criuse at times for hours. The best segment was 56.9 MPG at highway speeds of 70-72 MPH from Redding California to Lodi CA on interstate 5.

The computer is consistently reading about three off in the plus side.

From Redding to Lodi the computer read, 59.2, actual was 56.908 MPG, the closest to actual on the trip, miles, 201.4.

Seaside is at sea level meza is about 1700 feet above or so. I have not filled up since Fontana CA, and the computer is reading 50.6 MPG, for about 48 MPG True.

I can't complain because at 60-65 MPG in warm dry weather it is easy to get 55 MPG, true, here in Arizona.

Welll, I believe epa is 48 MPG highway and that is just about exactly
    what we got. Also the air condition was on from about LODI to Meza, driving in ECO mode.

Alfon

2. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    UPDATE:

Back from Arizona, arrived in Seaside Oregon March 27th. Prius was fully loaded, Me, my wife and son. Vehicle weight per Oregon DOT scale was 3,850 lbs.

Left Seaside Friday, March 19th, and reset trip A. Drove to Mesa Arizona. I did not baby the car and drove it real world. Speed were usually above speed limit to keep up with traffic. Cruise control even when climbing mountain passes at 75 MPH.

When we arrived home we had 3,500 miles on Trip A. Indicated MPG was 51.2.

So I would have to say MPG was true at 48 MPG, which is EPA's figures as well.

I am sure not many cars would get this kind of mpg's, maybe a diesel, when driven the way I did.

alfon

3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to Prius Fuel economy :)

4. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Interesting, my wife and I just finished a trip from Gilbert, AZ (just south of Mesa) to Oakland, CA and back. Overall trip was 2200 miles, computer says we averaged 47.2mpg and calculated I say we averaged 48.7. My highest mileage was 59.1 and my lowest was 43.9. Like you I used the cruise control whenever possible. These mileage and calculations were based on approximately 90% highway and 10% city miles. My route was I10 in Phoenix to I5 in Los Angeles, then north to Sacremento. The return was pretty much the reverse. I would estimate the trip was comprised of 40% flatland and the rest mountains or hills which made the cruise control over-throttle as it is a very tightly coupled system.

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Oh, by the way, last summer when the temps were warmer than this past winter I was able to get computer mileages as high as 58mpg around town. This is always better than freeway driving because around town I can use pulse and glide to its maximum advantage.

6. KenzoTH

KenzoTH Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welll, I believe epa is 48 MPG highway and that is just about exactly
    what we got. Also the air condition was on from about LODI to Meza, driving in ECO mode.

Alfon[/QUOTE]

Yes, EPA avg is accurate. I did a trip from Providence RI to Westfield, NJ today: fully loaded luggage in rear, three adults two kids, speeds vary mostly hwy 65+, some local driving for stops, AC on most of the way- got real 49.56 MPG calculated at pump.