1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seaside Pearl, option 6 or 7, 8 Nov 2003, Lafayette, Indiana

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by sbelter, Apr 13, 2004.

1. sbelter

sbelter New Member

Date ordered: 8 November 2003
    Dealer: Bob Rohrman Toyota, Lafayette, Indiana
    Timeframe given: 4-6 weeks
    Color: Seaside Pearl
    Option package 6 or 7
    Waiting list position: #1 since December 2003

We originally ordered a package #6 (BI), but after a few weeks found out that the Chicago region was only getting packages 3, 7, and 9. We then widened our choice to include package 3, and later 7.

In November/December, our dealer was getting 3-4 cars per month, and we were #5 on their list, so the 4-6 week prediction was reasonable. But deliveries slowed dramatically in January (one car for the month?) and now seems to be one car every 2 or 3 weeks.

Everytime our dealer is allocated a car, our saleman (Chuck Austin) calls to see if we'll take it; we've been #1 on their list since mid-December. We've been holding out for a blue car, and they haven't gotten one in five months! Based on our experience and Dianne's (Carson Toyota, CA) posts to priuschat.com, it appears that Toyota distribution isn't attempting to match orders with cars.

It would be pretty easy to get angry with the salesman/dealership, but after talking with them and reading the posts here, it's obvious that the problems lie with the demand for the car and the way Toyota has chosen to deal with it. Our salesman may be more frustrated than we are!

Moral of the story: Be prepared for a very long wait if you want a specific color or package. Alternatively, if you're flexible and willing to take anything with four wheels, you can cut your wait significantly. We were offered our a car within a few weeks of the order, just not the one we wanted.

Our excuse for being picky: We tend to keep our cars for a while. The (blue) Corolla we're replacing will be 19-years old next month!

Our dealer is now quoting a 6-8 month wait for new orders.

Their next allocation is scheduled for Monday....

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i give my dealer credit for being honest and saying it could easily be a year before i get my car. (i just ordered a couple of weeks ago, and apparently the wait has been increasing this spring with gas prices going up)

this works into my time frame fine so i am just sitting back and trying to be patient. i could take the car earlier but about a year puts me in my usual 3 year cycle for my business car, currently a nice buick rendezvous.

my dealer also said i could cancel any time because they have plenty of takers, and they are selling them at sticker, not over. if it's all true, i will be quite satisfied

oh, and of course i still have my little toy (at left) for weekends

3. sbelter

sbelter New Member

According to our dealer, our Seaside Pearl #7 should arrive at the dealership sometime in the coming week (May 2 - 5).

May 8th will make six months since it was ordered.

4. sbelter

sbelter New Member

We took possession of our Seaside Pearl #7 on May 6th. The car is super!

5. Raenstoirm

Raenstoirm New Member

Congratulations!! Welcome to the world of Prius!