1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seasonal Grille blocker for cold weather '08 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by navguy12, Jan 29, 2012.

1. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Following data from other old threads, I have come up with my version of the seasonal wind blocker for the grilles.

Actually, the top grille and fog light areas of the lower grille are now 'permanently' blocked (but totally reversible if/when required).

The center portion of the lower grille has the seasonally removable 'pipe insulation foam' material, trimmed and pressure fit into the center lower grille slates (from the front) for easy removal in late spring. This technique has been discussed in detail elsewhere.

My mode unique features:
    [​IMG]Photo at left: this is plastic, much like corrugated cardboard (old election sign (!)). It is my rigid backer board.

I removed the front fascia:
    [​IMG]Photo at left: I removed the four trim screws holding the chrome spear in situ on the top grille opening. Second, I used a waterproof black foam sheet material about 1/4 inch thick and laid it in the back of the exposed grille. Third, I used the plastic as the backer board. Fourth, I screwed it all in place with the four trim screws and that is what is showing in this photo.

Front grille from the front:
    [​IMG]Photo at left: what the blocked grille looks like from the front, simply a blacked out grille opening to the casual observer.....

The fog light areas:
    [​IMG][​IMG]Photos at left: same concept as the upper grille, but two small holes drilled into the vertical slats allow a black zip-tie to hold it in place.

One can also see unused pipe insulation tubes in the upper right corner of these photos. This is the product used in the center lower grille opening.

Cheers

Mike

2 people like this.
  2. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    pix too low of a resolution, they don't open big enough...what are we looking at?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. Can you attached larger pictures?

I get the basic idea and I like it better than the ghetto foam insulation trick. It is a lot cleaner looking. I may fab something like this up next year when I replace and repaint my front end.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, nice work and write up, it looks very good. all i do is the foam. if you can enlarge these pics, it would help us understand exactly how you did it. i think i might try it as well if i can see what you did. :)

6. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the photos being so small, I have my little point and shoot set so the pictures don`t bog down when I e-mail them.

I post the pictures in my rudimentary photo album on this site just so I can post them in the body of the text.

I have no idea how to up size my e-pictures that are my archive for this particular project.

That said, when I do my HID thing in about three weeks and have the front end apart, I can take some shots from that side of the front end.

Below are higher res shots of the front plus a shot of the plastic material used to create rigidity behind the hydro-phobic quarter inch foam....hope they show up better.....and because I don`t have true hi-speed (unavailable here for now), those three shots took about six minutes to upload.....

Attached Files:

7. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I`ll try again, from my cardomain site (which I do not really understand how to set up, but here goes....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope these show up better......

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My concern about grill block is the temperature. Although Gen 2 Prius maintain and manage FWT well. What if you have left the grill block on and say in a 75-85 degree ambient temp day could that cause or contribute to premature trans axle failure. Curious??

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why on earth would you leave it on when temperatures get that high? :confused:

It's rare to observe abrupt weather changes where you instantly go to 75+degrees and you don't have time to stop and remove your grille blocking. That is why the foam insulation is nice. It takes all of about 1min to remove it.

10. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatttt mmmmmWhyyy!!!!mmm Okay not following you so. When do you remove sgb based on temp and season??

"why on earth" okay how bout "on cali hwy"

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a lot more elegant than my pipe insulation for sure. And I congratulate you for that. But dang, it sure isn't as convenient nor as flexible. I like to gradually remove insulation as temps rise and put it back in when it's colder.

2 people like this.
  12. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone
    My question remains what optimum window both temp and season would you remove your g-block? 65 high temp spring day with forecasted warming trends. 69 temp "high" day.
    Anyone?

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Season is irrelevant. Temperature is what is important. Temps over approx. 50 degrees do not warrant the use of grille blocking. Some would argue that even 50 degrees is too high for grill blocking to make a difference.

I removed mine last week when I realized that afternoon temps were not going to be lower than 60degrees until next fall.

1 person likes this.
  14. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is 10C in Canada speak. Since all season tires start to loose grip at 7C or cooler, I swap my winter tires for the all seasons at the time of year when daytime highs are about 10C...so that is when I'll remove my lower grill block...until I figure a damper door mod :D

1 person likes this.