1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seasonal MPG Averages

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Dec 4, 2007.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Tracking MPG based on Month & Lifetime averages has been a common practice for us. Grouping data like that makes sense. What hasn't captured much attention though is the perspective of Seasons. (Months grouped based on like temperature ranges here in Minnesota.)

So, I took a stab at it today. With over 4 years of data (lifetime spreadsheet) already gathered, it always intriguing to see what crunching the numbers results in.

Here's what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cyberbro

cyberbro Junior Member

Great work.

Great work. I had a feeling that it jumped that much but this confirmed it for me.

3. jgray001@san.rr.com

[email protected] 2007 Prius, 26K miles/yr

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My travels in San Diego and throughout Southern CA yield a similar seasonal variation in MPG. Though we don't get the temperature extremes, 60F is cold and 80F is hot to us weather wimps (and damn proud of it!), we do get the "winter blend" gas - and then the MPG goes down. So, in the effort to save emissions using the winter blend, everyone gets about a 10% drop in MPG - so we all burn more gas. Go figure.

4. biff_debris

biff_debris WOOF!

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've seen a similar similar variation here in eastern Washington. The biggest change I noticed was when I changed tires in August 2006, but the seasonal variation is still there.

Attached Files:

5. theblackbag

theblackbag New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So in other words - global warming = higher mpg :D

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it possible to further breakdown how much the grill blocking improves during the winter?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So far, I'm not off to a good start this (winter) month. I only had 2 commutes to work, and neither was at commute time. To confuse matters more, the temperatures have been lower than normal. And last month was a complete loss for a routine, since I was away from work for most of it.

I have noticed a pattern emerging though. With the upper blocked entirely and about 70% for the lower, the effect seems to be the system acting as if it was 20 F degrees warmer.

Whatever the case, I'm excited about watching (and documenting) how it plays out.