1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat belt warning... but car is off? And then dead battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Reba, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Reba

Reba New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Like many of you, I've had to jump start my 2005 Prius after leaving a light on or a door not fully closed. So, I'm aware of how easy it is to drain the battery on this car. Lately, I've experienced a new problem that is more mysterious. I'll turn off the car, remove the key, and then the seat belt light will come on and the annoying beeping will start. Usually, I can just turn the car back on and off and the beeping will stop. I didn't think anything of it when it happened today - I just got out and left the car sitting for 2 hours. When I came back and opened the door, I heard the beeping before I even sat down. I stuck in the key, depressed the brake, and hit the power switch...

The battery light came on and the power button's amber light came on but nothing else happened. Now my key is stuck in the ignition as I wait for a jumpstart.

Does anyone have any idea what's happening here? We're on a remote island in BC so getting the car to a dealer is going to be tricky (involving 2 ferry rides)!

Thanks,
    Rebecca

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rebecca,

If you've repeatedly had to jumpstart your Prius, I suggest that you replace the 12V auxiliary battery. Then, if you continue to notice weirdness with the seat belt warning, it would be reasonable to seek dealer assistance. This may be part of the reason that the battery is being drained.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once you've drained the 12V battery it is likely never to be the same again. As Patrick wrote, replace it. And then get in the habit of *always* locking the car, no matter where you park it or for how long you intend to be gone. In most cases, if something is wrong (for example a condition which threatens the battery) the car will give a long beep.