1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat belt warning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Liam, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Liam

Liam New Member

My Prius was rear ended while I was stopped at a traffic light. The only damage to the bumper is a deep 10 inch long horizontal scratch. I had trouble unlatching the seat belt right after the accident. I could not get it to latch again. While driving without the seat belt I noticed the seat belt warning light and beep were not working. Everything on the passenger side works as normal. Is there some sort of connecton between the latch and the warning light? How can getting hit in the rear bumper cause the seatbelt to malfuntion?

The claims adjuster had never seen a Prius before and didn't know what sort of damage could be caused by a hit in the rear bumper. He couldn't give me an estimate for fixing everything. He did give an estimate of $300 to repair the plastic bumper cover. He said I should take it to the dealer and the insurance company (Allstate) would pay to fix whatever damage was found.

The claims adjuster thought the dash in the Prius was way cool. He said his next car would be a Prius. He drives a Camry now.

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not going to answer the seatbelt question, but you should remove your trunk carpet and inspect the "trunk floor". My previous car was hit @ 30mph while i was stopped and the rear bumper had minor scratches. However, the trunk floor (very close to the tank) was crumbled and heavily damaged. A $300 paint job turned out to be a $4000 claim.

Get under your car and check it out or have the body shop tear apart your car.

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

I agree, I don't understand why you had trouble unlatching your seatbelt, or why you couldn't latch it later. Sounds like something damaged it, which makes me wonder just how hard you got hit. The seat belt warning not working even goes to another system, the sensor I assume is there to know you are sitting in the seat. You have what appears to be many things going on.

For your protection, sign nothing until a dealer looks at this car!

4. craigcush

craigcush Member

There are crush sensors in the bumpers and sides of the body. One may have fired the seat belt tighteners (one shot deal that pulls you into the seat on impact).
    As a retired fire/medic, I have had to cut many a belt to get someone out of the car.

I really got hit, in the rear at 50+/- that totaled the car (see sig) and really happy with the design saving my family. Lots of black boxes, circuits and the 12v battery back there.

The other posters have good points, and surprisingly so did your agent.
    Go to the dealer.
    Which agent, the at fault or yours? I caught the at fault agent lying so I sent my agents after them. Too bad we have to be wary.

Hope it works out well

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that hit must've messed up the seatbelt latches. That must be quite a hit! Do check the area where the spare tyre resides for damage.

6. Liam

Liam New Member

Thanks for the tips about checking inside the rear trunk area. I didn't see any damage but I guess I won't really know until the Toyota service guys take it apart. I hate to think of my Prius in pieces, almost like a close relative having surgery.

The guy that hit me said he was going about 25 mph when he stomped on his brakes, it was a very square straight on hit. I think he was on his cell phone and didn't notice the light had turned red, he also said he just bought the car 2 days earlier and the brakes needed work.

It was the at fault adjuster that I was talking to, he seemed really nice. My insurance agent said if I didn't like the way the at fault insurance was handling it, to call him, and he would take care of it.

I will let you know what I find out about seat belt/bumper connection.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

My Saturn SL2 was totalled by an impact like that. My seat back went back, and my rear view moved up. CRumpled trunk.

8. Liam

Liam New Member

Apparently, coffee that got splashed in my lap when I got hit, combined with cookie crumbs, is enough to cause the seat belt latch to jam. Seat belt thinks it is latched, warning lights don't flash.

Toyota dealer says seatbelts are guaranteed for life of the car so it doesn't matter how they fail, Toyota replaces them at no charge.