1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Bottom Adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MadHungarian, Jun 6, 2005.

1. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would like to raise the height of the front of the bottom seat cushion (i.e., under my legs/knees). It appears that the only way to easily do this is to undo the bolts at the leading edge of the seat rails, place some washers between the rails and the floor mounts, and rebolt. Any other suggestions (or critiques/warnings)? Thanks in advance.

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    you might want to consider adding a chair cushion to sit on to raise the height of the seat. Messing with the way the seat is installed might cause more problems than you would think, particularly if your car has side airbags.

3. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Randalla: Thanks for the quick reply. I apparently did not make my goal clear. I do not want to raise the seats (I'm 6'3"). I just want to raise the fronts of both front seats so that my legs have some support on long trips, and so my woman friend will stop saying "I don't like it-- I feel like I'm sliding off the seat and onto the floor."

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Uh... You let your "woman friend" drive your car... And you want this to happen because???

5. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Not as much as I should--she usually does beat more than half the men in the field when she goes go-cart racing. And I would like her to be comfortable, even when she is in the passenger seat.

I guess I could roll up a couple of old beach towels, keep them under the seat, and fish them out when my legs ache or she has trouble with the slideing feeling. But that's the inelegant solution, the kind I used years ago when I was a poor student driving old beaters.

After all, this is a brand new $25,000-plus car; one would hope something a bit more elegant is possible. And shame on you, Toyota, for ignoring tilt adjustment!

6. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadHungarian\";p=\"96100)</div>
    WOW! I'm impressed.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadHungarian\";p=\"96100)</div>
    Back to your washer idea... That should work with out too much trouble. Hopefully, you would only need to move the front of the seat vertically by an inch or so. This shouldn't cause any problems with the safety features; except you would have to replace the bolt with a longer bolt with the same (or higher) hardness.

Washers are OK, but they tend to look a little odd when you stack a whole bunch of them. There are metal sleaves, or spacers, that you could make out of piping and get that would move the seat up to the height you/female friend requires.

In fact, a suspension bushing would probably be the best. It would offer the right size hole and surface area.

7. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The continuing saga (aka "Nothing is Easy Anymore")

I should learn to not propose solutions untill looking closely at the problem. It its wisdom, Toyota designed the seat mount to prevent use of a spacer between rail and floor (the bolt is angled, so when mount is raised the bolt does not align with floor bolt hole.

So, I guess the next course of action is to remove the seat, drill out the rivet attaching the rail to the mount, put the spacer there, and then use a bolt rather than a rivet to put it back together. How difficult cound THAT be?

And thanks to oly for your suggestions,

Its seems to be either that or the beach towels. Darn!

8. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think Dr. Fusco found a sort of lumbar support cushion that he uses on the seat bottom with the lumbar bulge forward to increase thigh support. Maybe something similar would work for you.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i bought one of those pads that is very thin about ½" on the back and maybe an inch on the thighs. it makes a huge difference on long trips.

you might want to look on line because someone posted a link to a place that had the same basic pad that had vibrate and heat added. personally, i do what i can to cool off so heat is something i dont need. i got mine at Big 5 i think...

10. bobc

bobc New Member

Madhungarian.

I raised my driver's seat as you're wanting to do.

I raised only the front and brought it up 1" higher.

As you've noticed, the front bold is angled such that when adding spacers, the seat moves slightly forward. Not really a problem up front but the two holes in the rear of the rails no longer line up with the holes in the car body. So, you have to file these holes to make them bigger if you want to raise the seat a fair amount.

I'll also add that by adding spacers between the rail and the car body to raise the front of the seat also raises the whole seat a little, too.

The seat offers much more support now, I'm happy with it.

Cheers,

11. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Bobc: Elongate the rear holes! I'm ashamed of myself for not inventing that solution (perhaps if I had spent more time crawling around on the floor of the car . . . . .). Cool indeed! Thank you, and thanks also for taking the extra time to take and post photos. There are good people on this forum.

13. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

There are good people on this forum.
    [/quote]

MadHungarian you got that right and in spades. The people in this forum are like family as they seem to want to help when ever they can, and offer support when that is all they can do. It also helps that the site is set up so well. And if you want to dabble in contentious debate there is FHOP which may get a little heated/opinionated at times, but is still much fun to participate in, and where one can see and learn from both sides of an issue.

14. bobc

bobc New Member

Madhungarian,

Let me add three other tidbits of info:

If you only add a couple of washers to raise the seat, no big deal. But, if you raise it as much as I did, there's something else you need to consider: On the front of the seat, where the holes are that the bolts go through, on the underside, there's a metal lip surrounding the hole. Check out the photo.

This is the only thing that washers are in contact with. Since I raised the seat 1", there's more shear stress (torque) on the bolt and spacers with the seat that much higher above the anchor point. I wanted more surface area contact between the seat bottom and the spacer to reduce the stress. So, I created my own spacer (out of aluminum) and bored out the top of the spacer so that the spacer would extend past this metal lip and contact the bottom of the seat rail directly. This results in the seat rail sitting on top of the spacer and not the metal lip, so there is less torquing and a lesser chance of shearing in the event of an accident.

Ugh, I can't seem to write this so it makes sense. If someone else can help out, great... But, take a look at the photos, and see that the metal lip in the following photo sits down inside the top of the spacer shown above.

The second piece of info is that with too much height, there's a tradeoff: Even though, the front of the seat is really getting lifted, the whole seat is higher, too. At some point, too much lift results in your head being closer to the ceiling, and you're stuck looking out front window near the top of the glass.

Also, any spacers greater than and inch results in too much filing for the back bolts. The holes get too close to the rear of the seat rails.
    Cheers,

-bob

15. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    bobc:

Thanks for the additional input, and I share your concern with the maintenance of the safety of the vehicle. And if rear-ended, I agree that a lot of force would be exerted (rearwards and upwards as the vehicle moves foward and the seat-back tries to pivot back) on those bolts. But those are pretty hefty bolts . . . I think you haver an extra martgin of safety, but I also think I could get by without the additional modifications. But then again. I'm a pretty hefty person (200 lbs). Do others have opinions on this?