1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

seat covers? armrest cover?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tadzue, Jul 21, 2004.

1. tadzue

tadzue New Member

Are there seat covers that work with the airbags? Also I would like to find a cover for the armrest between the seats. I intend to keep my Sweet Blue Prius for a long time.

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A very great seat cover company is www.gtcovers.com They also make a center console cover between driver and passenger, must ask when you call, though.

3. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seat covers

Just received my front seat covers (stone/light gray in color) from GTCovers early this week. The material looks great and the seams appear even better. I did have a question regarding installation which was answered quickly and very positively. Havent owned a car without leather interior for about 15 years (am going through leather withdrawl I guess) so am hoping this will keep the car clean and reduce wear & tear.

4. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I received my GT side airbag compatible front seatcovers last week (ordered through http://www.toyotapartsstore.com/). The set included headrest covers and a cover for the center console. I got the velour version.

The actual seat covers come in two section, one for the seat cushion and one for the seat back. The seatback one has a hole with a loose flap covering for the area around the side airbag. There are straps on the seat cushion cover to secure it, but I found it impossible to attach them without major work in removing or displacing the cushion. I simply pushed the back flap (and front flap from the seat back cover) as far into the crack between the bottom and top of the seat as could and secured to each other via the velcro on covers. Flattening the seat back to horizontal helped in this. The seat cushion cover has not shifted under me, so I don't think that attaching the straps is necessary.

One of the main reasons that I got covers was that I have previously used covers and noticed that after several years of driving, I tend to wear off the outer fabric in a few key places. Replacing removable covers is easier and cheaper than replacing the original seat parts.

5. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anyone bought and installed covers for the rear seats? Maybe I should just email GT? :)

6. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Covers wll maintain your seats in perfect condition for the car's next owner to enjoy. The material covering the Prius seats may look fragile and easy to wear and stain, but it is supposedly a high-tech material (Alcantara) that resists wear and repel stains.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have had many many people comment on the back seats. other than the obvious surprize at the amount of room in the back seat, they also commented on the unique feel of the cloth.

some even thought it was a suede of sorts.

to be honest with ya, i just sat in the back seat for the first time just the other day. they feel very different from the front seats for sure.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw Brian's covers again tonight, including center console. I must say, they do look sharp. If the price wasn't so steep, I'd consider them for my car because I have 2 kids.

9. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Cost? Photos? Color/material choices?

10. ceemom

ceemom New Member

Sheepskin

Anyone have a good source for sheepskin seat covers or experience with them -- perhaps in another car. My husband had sheepskin seat covers in his first nice car a couple decades ago and wants them again.

11. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GTCovers

Just finished installing my GTCovers this afternoon. Still need to nip & tuck in certain places but overall, am very please with the color match and stiching.

12. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Could you post a pic of the airbag cut out area of the seat cover? I purchased seat covers before these were available and if I could just modify my existing seat covers to work with the side impact airbags that would be great. Thanks.

13. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"28428)</div>
    I have to admit that I am puzzled about why people put covers on their seats, unless maybe you have young kids constantly spilling things or something like that. Why maintain your seats, covered up, in perfect condition for the NEXT owner to enjoy? How do you know the next owner isn't also going to cover up the seats to save them for the next next owner, ad infinitum until the car is in the junkyard?

Why not enjoy the nice upholstery of the car you bought, and if and when the seats wear out or get permanently stained, THEN put covers on them?

(It's kind of like, why does my kid wear baseball hats all the time when he has beautiful hair...I should be the one wearing the hats over my balding dome!)

Rob

14. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Amen. I've been likewise perplexed at the hideous plastic covers some people here have been sticking on the front of their cars lest they get scratched. :|

And don't get me started on the fake wood trim.

15. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceemom\";p=\"28947)</div>
    i got a nice but generic sheepskin seat cover at costco that i use in the front bucket of my avanti. it's wonderful though it's so thick it actually reduces the height clearance when i sit in it, which is a bit of a problem because the avanti is not long on headroom...

16. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

I bought some Mexican cotton blankets for yoga, and liked the color so much (bright blue) that I use them as seat covers for the front seat (and the bottom of the back seat).

I use them because I think the tan/beige fabric that is in the Prius looks dirty even when it's not (and my bright blue blankets don't look dirty, even when there are crumbs on them!)

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    onerpm:

you do bring up an interesting point. i normally use seat covers to cover up inperfections... not keep seats clean. most seat covers ive seen are not waterproof so anything that is spilt will stain seat anyway. of course my Prius has none.

18. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    As I posted previously:

One of the main reasons that I got covers was that I have previously used covers and noticed that after several years of driving, I tend to wear off the outer fabric in a few key places. Replacing removable covers is easier and cheaper than replacing the original seat parts.

Also, I once was given a car where the seats had deteriorated badly due to sun exposure. Again, the cover is much cheaper to replace than the seat.

That being said, I wouldn't put a cover on that was less comfortable than the basic seat.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well... ive had a lot of junkers where the seat covers provided much needed additional padding and support.

ive had cars that wrapped the seat in a blanket and then put a seat cover over that!!