1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Covers for 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pooksnook7, Nov 5, 2007.

1. pooksnook7

pooksnook7 Junior Member

I picked up my new Prius last week and was pleased to find this owners forum. I want to protect the front seat upholstery and have been looking online for seat covers. So far, I can only find covers for the 2007 Prius, but mine is a 2008. Will the 2007 seat covers fit it? Also, can anyone recommend a site that has seat covers at a reasonable price? So far I've found precisionfit.com and gtcovers.com, and both offer velour covers with separate headrests and console cover for about $170. Because of the in-seat airbags, I'd be afraid to get anything but a cover specifically designed for the Prius. Any suggestions?

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cheaper alternative ($69 front and rear) to the GT covers can be found here:

http://search.ebay.com/prius_W0QQcatrefZC6...rZ1QQsofocusZbs

Another cheaper alternative is to get new or slightly used OEM seat covers from eBay for $29 to $49. From time to time you will see OEM seat covers on eBay which purportedly were removed when the owner or dealer put aftermarket leather covers on the car. If you find a set for a good price, you can order it and keep it and use it for parts, as it were. That way, you just keep on using your original OEM covers, and just replace them with the eBay OEMs if, when and to the extent you need to. That's what I did. I damaged my original driver seat cushion cover. Bought a new full set of 2008 OEM covers (they fit my 2007, so I think your 2008 is the same as prior years with airbags) from eBay for $49. Used only the driver seat cushion cover. And I'm keeping the rest for parts. CAVEAT: one downside to this is that whenever you have replacement seat covers (as opposed to covers that just go over the existing covers), such as these eBay OEM cloth ones or aftermarket leather ones, proper and perfect installation will be even more of a PITA than regular seat covers because you have to at least partially disassemble the seats to remove the existing covers, and then use hog rings and hog ring pliers (or cable ties and cable tie tool) to put the new covers on. So for almost all people, it's a job best left for professional automobile upholsterers.

If I were you, I'd go with one of the above alternatives because, unless you use a professional installer, the cost is only around $29 to $69, and they look as good as OEMs or most pricier aftermarket covers.

Good luck.

EDIT/SUPPLEMENT: Another alternative is to get genuine sheepskin covers. From my search of the net, it seems that you can get a decent set for one front bucket seat for as low as $69. I'm thinking of getting one for my driver's seat. They seem very popular with PriusChat Aussies and Kiwis.

3. JamesE

JamesE New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I installed a sheepskin seat cover today, only the driver's seat, from Costco, $90 + tax
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11199031&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=〈=en-US
    They are made by a company called 'Eurow'.

I am impressed with the quality, says they are 1" thick genuine Australian sheepskin. They are universal fit, so they don't fit exactly. There are two pieces, seat bottom & seat back, instead of the common one piece design.

The biggest fit problem is they are designed assuming there is an open space between the seat bottom and the seat back. On the Prius, there are a couple of pieces of upholstery that tie the seat bottom and seat back together, so no open space between the back and the seat bottom. That makes it difficult on the seat bottom & impossible on the seat back to wrap the seat cover around the seat to get a tight fit. It seems to fit OK, even though it isn't installed as intended.

The package says they are 'Engineered for use with side-impact air bags'.
    On the back it explains they use special computerized sewing machines with special thread and sewing processes to allow the seat cover to burst should a side impact bag deploy. They also add this troubling sentence:
    "However, it is never recommended to cover seats that have side-impact air bags. Manufacturer assumes no risk or responsibility".

4. kalikat

kalikat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  5. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Bubba,

Thanks for the advice. Been thinking about getting sheepskin covers for a year now. So it sounds like you got the custom fitted covers. I was wondering:

Who did the measuring?
    Can you post your measurements?
    What was the final cost?

Would love to see photos if you get a chance.

Thanks again.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The Wet Okole's that everyone recommended here are excellent. They fit perfect. Are very stain resistant and add extra comfort to the seat. They are bullet proof. I got the simple 2 tone in my Bisque 07. They were around $ 250 something delivered and worth every cent and of course have side bag vents. They have many options stitch & color wise but i went simple. Google 'em.

Attached Files:

PerlaQ likes this.
  8. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To answer your questions:

1) When I showed up, one of the nice (and cute) sales girls measured. They basically did what was shown on the form in the website. They went from seam to seam.

2) Not really. I don't have the form anymore. But I wonder if they still have my measurements.

I just put them on this PM. It took a little work pulling and getting on the floor to get the straps under the seats/guide rails and a wooden spoon to shove any excess into the crack between the seat back and the seat bottom. I never had sheepskins before. My wife was surprised at how soft they were.

3) They were $139 and $15 shipping.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lol. One of the sales agents for a custom suits seller in NYC is an ex-model. We like it when she comes around our office to measure our inseams.

$139 is a good price if the wool is good and the fit is nice. I think I'll get them with my economic stimulus rebate check.

Look forward to the pics when you have a chance.

10. conchshell

conchshell New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought a new prius 2008 with package#2. Now I am looking for seat covers. I find GT/WetO too expensive. I found this link on this forum eBay Motors: 2005-8 TOYOTA PRIUS 2 ROWS SEAT COVERS GRAY NEW (item 180202180759 end time Mar-01-08 14:05:33 PST)
    It says that the covers are for 2005-8, however in the detailed description it says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]VEHICLE..2005-8 Toyota PRIUS with side airbags in the seat. EXACT SEATS FOR FRONT AND BACK SEATS IN ALL 2005-7 PRIUS MODELS, NO OTHER YEARS."

What does this sentence means? Has anyone tried these seat covers with Prius 2008?
    [/FONT]

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

The GT/WetO's are expensive because there high quality just like your car. The sentence in question clearly seems to mean it won't fit 08's. But $69 seat covers from eBay will surely be crap anyway. I know I have bought them. They will shed very bad and fill your car with fiber. If you just want cheap covers go to an auto store. I would at least get the vinyl leather looking seats as they won't shed.

1 person likes this.
  12. fmvs

fmvs New Member

13. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    so, there is nothing cheaper than $339.00 (362.09 with shipping and handling) for front and back seats if you want new covers?

Seat Covers for All Car and Truck Makes and Models - Exact Fit Seat Covers from GT Covers.

someone must be making less expensive covers!

also, what concerns me is that operation of seat air bag may be hindered.
    maybe i should just try some el cheapo costco seat covers for now.
    only problem is -- they do not come in front + rear set.

has anyone found some aftermarket covers that fit satisfactorily on their prius?

14. mountjonas

mountjonas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i've heard nothing but great things about Wet Okole. They should be made to accommodate the side air bags, as well. I wanted them for my old cars. I'd consider putting them in the prius, but I don't want to cover up the leather.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The seats in the 08 Prius are the same as previous model years that have front seats with side airbags. I'm guessing that the vendor merely missed updating that last 2005-7 to read 2005-8.

I know that there are some PriusChatters who have said that they liked these seat covers. But maybe they didn't have them as long as edthefox did, or haven't updated their initial posts about the covers.

One problem with going to Costco or other stores for cheap covers, is that they don't usually have front seat covers that accomodate side airbags.

16. wiiawiwb

wiiawiwb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was planning on buying a pair of Miss Sideless sheepskin but I think they are temporarily not selling right now. So, trying to choose between Comfysheep, Classicsheepskin, Superlambauto, and USSheepskin and none of them are cheap.

17. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    those are really nice covers, but it would run me $500!
    ouch!
    but on the other hand, if i pick black seat covers with red inserts it would look sharp on my silver prius, and they are side airbag tested.

what is the advantage of neoprane type set covers vs velour type?

18. mountjonas

mountjonas New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    water resistance, IIRC

19. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  20. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The GT covers are designed with the airbag in mind, but only if you order for airbags. Try checking the price at the Toyota dealer; because they buy in bulk, you should get a better price. Also, they should have samples for you to take out and see what would look the best (at least the dealers I went to did).