1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat covers -- heated seats -- air bags?? What's the REAL story?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Apr 22, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, thinking about dipping into sparse savings and buying a new Subaru Outback. I am reading stuff that says no seat covers because of heated seats and/or the "seat" airbags.

I have not approached a dealer about this, but wondering if you all have some knowledge about this issue.

Seatcovers are almost a NEEDED accessory for me as I often am a filthy mess when I get in the car. I have no prior experience with heated seats or seat airbags. Am looking at leather seats.

kris

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know the seat covers need to be designed for the seat air bags so they let the bags deploy properly if needed.
    I think most cars now have seat air bags.

Trollbait likes this.
  3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If the cover is made for your car it should allow for the airbags. I think they use deliberately rippable stitching. If it is a thin material, like a sheet of poly or cotton, the heat will work right through it.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The airbag is the main concern with a seat cover. I would want to check directly with the manufacturer of the seat cover, to confirm absolutely that it will part for the seat airbag in your car model.

A bomb that goes off and can't expand in the intended direction is still a bomb.

Trollbait likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My gen2 seat covers had simple flaps for the side airbags.

The concern for the seat heaters would be if the seat covers are too insulating, then the interior parts of the seat could get too hot. Which can lead to bad things. So avoid neoprene and other non-breathable fabrics if it is personal concern.