1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat heater switches (on/off vs high/low)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J_Vick909, Jul 6, 2017.

1. J_Vick909

J_Vick909 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Prius Chat- I've noticed the heated seats on my 2012 get very hot and only have an on/off switch. I've recently seen other Prius models with a low/high setting. Do you all know if this is a retrofit?

What I currently have:
    [​IMG]

Variable setting:
    [​IMG]

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

It appears you might have looked at a Plug-In Prius, which came with the high/low seat heaters. You can compare the wiring diagrams from techinfo.toyota.com and see how they did it.

It would be a bit involved as a retrofit, as not only the switches are different; the heat pads under the upholstery are different too (the high/low ones have two electrical segments), and so the wire harnesses and connectors aren't identical either.

One day, somebody's going to try out my alternative idea, though. It could be you. :) It would just require first accurately measuring the wattage of the existing heat pads, and making sure it's within the capacity of those controllers.

-Chap

#2 ChapmanF, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. CNYhybrid

CNYhybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe that the two level heated seats were from a later model. I have a 2011 level Four and only have on/off. I did read somewhere of someone having the same issue as you and their Toyota dealer solved the problem by removing the seat covers and spreading out the heating wires which were bunched together at points making it too hot. It apparently solved the problem. Mine cycle off automatically when they get too hot. Good luck.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the dual level or bi level heated seats were a plug-in only feature. The standard Prius got stuck with a single level.

If it's the same as my 2010, it actually cycles. So yes it does get quite hot but it will turn off automatically and then back on again if you leave it on for long enough.

As far as retrofitting, I'm not sure if it's possible or not. Of course getting the switches and the new panel shouldn't be a problem (as long as you have the part number, you can order it from the dealer) but I'm sure how the wiring will change (cause it has to change the amount of current going to the wires, right?)

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, it uses a different, two-segment heat pad upholstered into the seat; you'd need that along with the switches and wiring (and hog ring pliers, argh). See post #2.

-Chap

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    "Too hot" depends on where you live. Here in Edmonton they are -never- "too hot". ;)

7. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem. I suspect it is a manufacturing defect that when they assembled the seats part of the heating pad got bunched up. My dealer wants $1,000 to fix. They said they have to replace the entire pad on the lower seat. On my car it is just the driver's seat. I have heated seats in my other cars that work fine. Next winter I am going to see if I can put a cover on the lower seat to see if that helps. Otherwise I will buy the part on the internet and find a car interior shop to install it.