1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Height and Safety

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rhino, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would like to sit higher to increase visibility. But I am also worried that in a rollover, I'll have less headroom. Does anyone have any information regarding whether seat height and safety in a collision/accident/rollover? Is it safer to sit lower or is it an urban legend?

Thanks

2. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So your question is: Is it safe to raise the driver's seat (with the lever) in your '10 Prius to a comfortable visibility level - or should you lower it in case of a rollover?

You ARE kidding, right?

BTW if you have an accident in your Prius that results in a rollover, I'd say you have more to be concerned about than headroom. Really.

3. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am not kidding. I've been thinking about this issue and have not found a satisfactory answer.

I do know, for example, that when driving, one should not scrunch up all the way up front because in a collision, the few inches may make a difference, allow your seatbelt to arrest you, and you want to stay away from a deploying airbag.

And if you are rear ended, it helps to be in a bigger car with a bigger crumple zone.

And if you are sideswiped, being in a bigger car, and a few more inches from the door would help.

So I don't think my question about having a few more inches of headroom is necessarily lacking in logic or reason.

I see that you feel the few extra inches of headroom will make little difference considering all the dangers of a rollover. Thanks for your input though. Your gentle chiding caused no hard feelings on my part.

4. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I am sure that Toyota has designed the car so that people of differing heights can safely drive it. I used to do auto product liability defense work and I know that tops are designed to crumple to a certain degree, but I can't believe that they only think that people your height or less will be driving these cars. If a person is taller (from the buttocks up), I would hope that the car is not automatically dangerous.

Without a bit of scientific evidence, I say put the seat where you are comfortable. If it results in a serious head injury, your heirs and assigns will have a very viable lawsuit.:)

5. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You could always install a roll cage in your car or wear a helmet if you're that concerned about it.

6. RoyThePriusGuy

RoyThePriusGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Or forego the Prius technology and FE - just get the biggest Hummer.

Really just relax and enjoy the ride. Drive safely and defensively. And, don't use aftermarket floppy floormats....

7. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Why would the G3 be any different from other vehicles?

I haven't read anything about roll over tests in the G3, but if it's similar to other sedans, the roof usually does NOT collapse into the passenger compartment in a rollover. So, I'm not sure this would be a safety concern of mine.

About a month ago a friend of mine was T-boned (right on the driver's door) in his G2 Prius by a Suburban SUV travelling at a high rate of speed. His car did not have a side curtain airbag, but even if he had, I'm not sure it would have saved his life. His teenage son was in the front passenger seat, and he didn't sustain any injuries, but my friend died a few hours later at the hospital. If I am concerned about any particular form of accident, this is it - getting hit by a large truck on the driver's door. Getting T-bones is one of the most deadly form of accidents in almost any car.

8. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I happened to own a Prius but I asked a general question for all cars. I did not say anything about the Prius being more sensitive. I own a Sienna too and I have the same concern.

Peace.

9. codybigdog123

codybigdog123 Got Mad and Left in a Tizzy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

As I said, I don't think it's an issue, as most cars that I'm aware of do not cave into the passenger compartment on rollover. But I mentioned the G3, with respect to other cars, because I have not seen any crash tests on the G3. But I would be surprised if they are any worse than the G2, and probably better.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You would probably be well served to ...

sit at the height that affords you the best view in every direction ...

Being able to see traffic lights, other cars, and people and don't let the rearview mirror block your line of sight.