1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Lowering

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nyprius, Apr 7, 2006.

1. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    At 6'1", I sit too high in the Prius. I have to crouch down to see red lights, vision out the rearview mirror is cut off and the top of the speedometer is sometimes cut off by the dashboard. I would like to be at least an inch lower in the car. Does anyone know if it's possible to lower the driver's seat?

I went to an handicap retrofitter. They extended by seat rails, so the seats slide back an extra 3 inches. But they said lowering the seat would be harder. Any ideas?

Thanks, Frank

2. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

The topic has been brought up several times before but no one really seems to have a good solution. One I am considering is when I have my leather upholstery put in maybe have them change out the cushion material to something flatter but still offers good support.

Can you elaborate a little on this 3" extender you have? That could be the solution a lot of us are looking into. As an aside, have you taken into consideration the sensors for the airbags that let the computer know how far back the seat is?

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ Apr 6 2006, 11:13 PM) [snapback]236233[/snapback]</div>
    An excellent point to remember! Although if you are 3" farther back, the airbag might not reach you anyway!

4. GeoBob

GeoBob New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Apr 7 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]236202[/snapback]</div>

I was very frustrated with this same problem several years ago when I purchased a new Subaru Legacy. Although I never found a way to lower or replace the seat, the cushion sank in a little after a year or two, actually solving the problem for me!

5. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, I have 78k miles on my 04 and the stupid seats are still as hard as granite.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Apr 6 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]236202[/snapback]</div>
    What model do you have? If there's no NAV system under your seat, you can even replace the seat with another type. As for the airbag, well, you'd lose the side one (a resistor fools the system), but others have done that as they felt that the times the side airbags would go off would be so remote, compared the amount of pain they felt driving.

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 7 2006, 01:10 PM) [snapback]236478[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have any pointers for this?! The whole airbag defeat situation is what led me to give up my quest for a Recaro transplant. If it is as easy as adding a resistor to the removed wiring harness, we might be getting somewhere. I have no idea WHAT that harness wants to see so the car is happily thinking there is still a side air bag.

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 7 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]236510[/snapback]</div>
    This came up on the thread "replace seats for comfort." Here's the relevant information...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vertigo2k @ Aug 8 2005, 11:46 PM) [snapback]114722[/snapback]</div>

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks tons! I'd never seen that even after my various searches! And the good news is that I live just 60 miles from where he had the work done. Awesome.

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 7 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]236523[/snapback]</div>
    Glad to help. :)

They promised pictures and never did. If you do this, I hope you will.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad to hear that it works, for those that want that seating style.
    I in fact was very glad to get away from the rather "buckety", low
    seats in the Subie, where in contrast to the Prius it felt like
    being wedged into a crevasse to me. At this point I have a hard
    time understanding what's not to like about the stock prius seats,
    but everyone's bum is different.
    _H*

12. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Regarding moving the seats back, I took the car to New England Wheels in Billerica, MA. There's a guy there who's done this to many cars. They did an excellent job. I had the front seats done. The work involved drilling out the rivets that hold the two pedastals to each seat rail (two for each front seat). Then they welded about 4 inches of heavy duty steel (a lot thicker than the seat rails) to the bottom front of the seat rail. Then they welded the pedastals back on the rails, three inches forward from the original position. Now the seats slide back a full three inches more. It feels very luxurious.

I don't know why they didn't design the car this way in the first place. Even with the seat 3 inches back, there's still enough leg room in the back seat for a tall person. On the rare occasion when a super tall person sits there, I could slide my seat up a little.

Re the airbags, they come out from the side of the seat I believe. So moving them has no impact on safety. The bags that come out of the roof molding have some extra room in them to accomodate different accidents I"m sure. So they'd likely work well too. Even if they worked a little less well, that is definitely a trade off I'd make to have comfort all the time. In my other cars, I never had side airbags and I'm still around.

Re lowering the seat. I bet it could be done. The move back didn't affect the Nav system (I have a 2005 Prius BC, #6 package). The seat could be lowered at least an inch without hitting the nav system I believe. If you look under the seat, you'll see two triangular pieces of metal coming up from each seat rail. These support the seat. It looks like you could take out the seat, unbolt the bolt at the top of the triangular piece of metal and drill a hole 1 inch lower in the triangle piece then rebolt the seat to it. I think nothing would obstruct this. The metal I'm sure is designed to shear a certain way in an accident. I don't think this mod would affect accident performance.

Cheers, Frank

13. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyprius @ Apr 7 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]236658[/snapback]</div>
    The airbag concern is purely for the force of the FRONT air bags. There is a sensor on the seat rail that tells the car how close you are to the steering wheel. If you are a short person with the seat all the way forward, the bags don't deploy as hard. If you're all the way back, they come out as fast and full as possible. THAT is the sensor we're worried about. The rest (side and curtain) are not an issue. But if that sensor is not positioned correctly and somebody much shorter than you drives and has an airbag deployment - there could be problems.

14. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a good point. While I'm not sure, it seems it wouldn't make that big a difference. A short person for example, would have the seat more forward, with or without the mod. I doubt if a three inch shift in seat position would change bag pressure much. It seems the larger shift in pressure would come with a large seat move, say 6 inches or more. A tall person would have the seat back with or without the mod. They'll get full or near full pressure either way.

I agree there might be a trade off. If the issue is greater comfort every minute I'm in the car versus slightly reduced functionality of an air bag that may never deploy over the life of the car. I'll take the comfort. I've got the seat and shoulder belt on anyway.

I'm sure they over-engineer the airbags. These things are designed to have 0% failure rates. They also have to take into account the size of the driver. For example, a fat short person will be a lot closer to the wheel than a skinny short person. The air bag has to work for both the fat and the skinny. Therefore, I think it is highly unlikely that moving the seat back 3 inches would significantly affect airbag performance.