1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Hybrid Hobo, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The leg room in my new (to me) 2008 Prius is REALLY tight. Although I'm only 5'11'', most of that is legs, and I find that they're bent up all the time when sitting in the car. So, I just ordered the seat extension brackets through ExtendMySeat.com, and I hope that'll resolve the problem. However, that feeds directly into my main issue, which is...

Both of the little feet plates that attach the seat to the floor of the car (to see example photo, click link below) are pretty rusted. One isn't so bad, but the one that's closest to the door is VERY rusty, to the point that when I rub it it starts flaking away. This not only looks ugly, but is also a safety hazard IMO, so I'd like the mechanic to replace it when he installs the seat extender brackets.

Does anyone know the technical name for this part, and where I can order them online? Also...

Is it just one screw/bolt to take it off, or is it attached to the rail and the whole rail needs to be replaced?

https://ibb.co/k9DmVKQ

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got a few more inches of height on you and I didn't need the seat extension brackets. Instead I removed the center console between two front seat and replace it with a pillow. So much more comfortable! Also makes climbing in through that passenger side of the car easier during rare times when that's necessary.

Hybrid Hobo and ydpplqbd like this.
  3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can't buy it separately, to install the extendmyseat brackets, your mechanic has to remove the seat, get him to wire brush the rust and paint it. Or take it to a body shop, they can install the extendmyseat and paint the seat track.

Notice the red outline in attached pic.

Attached Files:

Hybrid Hobo likes this.
  4. Hybrid Hobo

Hybrid Hobo Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @PriusCamper - You've been a sea of bright light with tons of useful information since I've gotten my Prius, and I want to thank you for that. You should seriously put together a little ebook on Prius camping, as I'd be the first one to buy it. On the leg room topic however, we'll have to agree to disagree. Just TOO tight and uncomfortable for me :)

@alftoy - I have no clue where you fished that diagram out of, but THANK YOU, as that is the precise answer I was in need of. Didn't even cross my mind to have that part rust-brushed & painted, but now that you've mentioned it (and I cannot buy the foot attachment), I think I'll be doing just that (y)

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know cars from states which use salt on the roads tend to be rusty, but I have no recollection of anybody previously having that problem with any part of the seat - except when it rusted through from below. So since that part is rusty one might wonder:

Is the track also rusty?
    The seat frame above it?
    The floor under it?
    Other parts of the car?