1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seat Rail Extension / Where?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by gkh, Mar 30, 2009.

1. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've read the forums, but can't seem to locate a location that can address extending the seat travel in the Northern Virginia area. A good 2-3" would be great... just need a reliable place to perform the work!

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know of only two PriusChatters who have had it done and wrote about it:

epop -- but he's in Ohio.

nyprius -- he had it done at New England Wheels, Billerica, MA (about 20 miles NW of Boston), for around $300 for both front seats.

If you don't find a handicap or other car modifier closer to you, I'd consider making arrangements to have it done at nyprius' place. Here's a link to their website:

New England Wheels

3. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tom,
    Thanks... I saw the Billerica reference... was hoping to locate someone in the DC area that others may have used. That extra 2-3" would be great to compensate for the thinnest lumbar support I've been able to find. It just has my knee too close for comfort to the dash...

4. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Found a solution! Extendmyseats dot com... so far, so good... reasonable solution/price... will need several days to "test", but instructions were excellent, and took less than 30 minutes to install with driver's seat...

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do follow up. I would like to hear all about it.

This could be a major breakthrough for many on the Gen2 driver's seat.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, PriusChatter griffeycprius just came out with those ExtendMySeat.com extensions, which are now also available at the PriusChat Store. They will extend the Gen II Prius seat's full range of travel back exactly 4 inches (and raise the height of the seat a hair ... 0.134 inch).

I've read two extensive reviews of this product by PriusChatters hill and JimboK, which I understand will be posted on PriusChat soon.

7. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Some quick feedback on the Seat Extensions from Extendmyseat.com...

I received them from Griffey within days of the order... packed nicely... and had updated installation instructions (which were significantly better that what was originally posted on the website when he first launched in early July!)...

Installation was easy, and went flawlessly... remove the four bolts, unplug the three seat electrical connections (*), CAREFULLY remove the seat from the car, place the two new floor mounts in the car, CAREFULLY return the seat into the car, insert the four new bolts, tighten all bolts, and then reconnect the three seat electrical connectors. Place the two plastic interior rail caps back on at the back, and DONE! (He states 30 minutes... I didn't time it, but it did not take long at all!)

(*) I had encountered a cable clamp that holds the three electrical connector cable feed... using a small screwdriver, it can be easily pried open, and then reused. In fact, a small screwdriver came in handy to help disconnect the cables... nothing forced or broken!

I emphasize CAREFULLY when moving the seat in and out... only because this is the only part where you want to protect your plastic and leather... the original seat rails can scratch other parts of the car, if you are not careful.

All in all, an EASY mod to provide an extra 4 inches of seat travel!

OK... I've been driving with the extra positioning for the past week... MAJOR improvement for me... 6ft 1in (normal build)... my knees are no longer very close to the dash... I can even add one of the thicker lumbar cushions, and still have a lot of clearance for my knees... a much more comfortable drive (3 hour total commute each day), still can have people sit in the back...

Product quality? These brackets are thick steel... so I'm not worried about safety...

I'm satisfied... and the pricing is reasonable... when compared to alternatives!

1 person likes this.
  8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your review gkh.

You might also want to review the product on the PriusChat Store site:

PriusChat Shop : Toyota Prius Drivers Seat Extension - ExtendMySeat [ExtendMySeat] - $195.00, Reviews

Glad that you're finally comfortable in your Prius. :)

You know what I find so odd about the Gen II Prius and this seat issue? I'll never understand why Toyota never bothered to fix this issue during the 6 model year run of the Gen II Prius.

Seems to me that Toyota:

(1) should never have come out with this seat with the below average, limited rearward travel in the first place in 2004, and

(2) should have corrected this by the 2005 model year (I think it was easily correctable and the cost could have been less than $1 per vehicle).

9. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agreed... simple fix, not sure why they hadn't taken action... could have sold more Prii!