1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seatbelt Light and Dome Light Come On While Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Emily Comeno, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Emily Comeno

Emily Comeno New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi There,

I have a 2008 Prius and as of yesterday started experiencing something strange. While driving (I'm pretty sure it's mainly when I hit bumps, but some random times as well) in a 25 miles drive my seatbealt light would flash on the dashboard, followed by the dome light dimming on and then quickly off around 10 times.

Any ideas? I bought this Prius used, have not had any problems so far, so am new to the Prius world.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is the car salvaged title?

3. Emily Comeno

Emily Comeno New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no. no accidents reported, no prior damage.
    no.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As often happens, diagnosis over the internet is always a huge degree of blind guessing.

But if it is happening while driving or when hitting a bump my first reaction would be to suspect a door latch isn't closed tightly.

But that wouldn't explain why the seatbelt light would flash...assuming you are wearing your seat belt at the time.

My suggestion...as a rudimentary first step is to make sure all your doors and hatch are firmly and securely closed. And also make sure your seatbelt is clicked in good.

Quite frankly it's probably NOT going to be that simple an answer, because the universe is rarely that kind. But that's a cheap enough and simple enough first step on the way to further diagnosis.

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Loose wiring harness beneath the seats (seat belt continuity), loose door microswitch (dome light).

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I was leaning towards with the dome light.

But since the OP reported that the vehicle doesn't have a history of a wreck or body shop rebuilding the idea that you would simultaneously have a door switch go bad...at the same time a wiring harness beneath the seats would go bad? Seemed like beating the odds.

I was trying to find ONE thing, that would account for both symptoms, since they seemingly both manifested at the same time.

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long have you owned this car? Was the car purchased from a Toyota dealer?

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the appropriate Gen II forum from the Prius v technical forum...

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The seat harness plugs often get jostled by items placed underneath the seats. I have had door switches (plunger or micro) fail randomly.

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another probably more remote possibility is rodent damage to the wiring harness. That would involve a bit of snooping around under and inside of things. Potentially difficult to find. There are usually other telltale signs, like various leavings here and there, but if the car was cleaned up for sale they would likely have been removed.