1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seatbelt obstructs rear view

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by HeyItsSolomon, Nov 7, 2013.

1. HeyItsSolomon

HeyItsSolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I apologize in advance if this is a previously documented topic. I'm new here and I made what I think is a reasonable attempt at searching for it, so please don't type at me in capital letters.

I rarely carry more than one additional passenger, so I removed the headrests from the backseats so they wouldn't impede the rear view. That's when I realized the center seatbelt is also in the way. It's not a big deal, but is there a way to remove or detach it for when I don't have rear seat passengers?

Here's what the rear view in my '13 Prius C looks like:
    [​IMG]

This is the view looking up at where the seatbelt attaches to the ceiling.
    [​IMG]

AutoMo likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That second picture looks like it includes a place to tuck the buckle. That likely means the belt can be detached down below.

Looking at replacements for the household's AWD, I found that the center belts of our preferred choice are easily detached at the seat by sliding a key into a slot on the seat fixture. Have you looked close enough to see if your 'c' has a similar feature?

HeyItsSolomon likes this.
  3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    minkus, ztanos and HeyItsSolomon like this.
  4. HeyItsSolomon

HeyItsSolomon New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    You were right about that slot being there to tuck in the buckle and about detaching it near the seat, fuzzy1. I was looking for the solution up on the ceiling without even thinking to look at the seat. And the thread you linked to, ftl, appears to give the same answer. Thanks to both of you!

[​IMG]

...that's better. Thanks again!

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ahhhhh!

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I recently did this to my C too.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, but it looks ugly without the headrest in place! I really can't figure out what the concern is with the head rests in place? The rear window is small and you can only see what the rear view mirror can see. I have no problem seeing with the headrests in place.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is still a visibility issue when looking back during shoulder checks.

If you don't do these shoulder checks, then I must surmise that you have never taken the driving test in my state. I passed, but know plenty of fellow transplants who flunked their first test for this specific reason.

ftl likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you see an older sedan on the road, say at least a decade old, or more, check out the visibility: they are blinking green houses compared to todays cars. Guess it's tighter roll-over protection regulations?

10. ShirLit

ShirLit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    depending on how old you're talking....cars didn't even have headrests when I grew up. And cars were the size of boats. Why couldn't Toyota have made all the back headrests low profile like the middle one (and like my husband's yaris already is? I am SO tempted to tear into one of those things and do some DIY reduction!

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, but there is also a lot of 'style' involved. And a lot of people are now uncomfortable with big windows allowing outsiders to look in, leading designers to shrink the windows.

This also seems to be one of the forces leading dark window tints, as expressed by some readers here and as hinted in some of the tint advertising.

12. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back in the day, American cars did not have headrests, but almost all European cars did. Headrest are more then a headrest, they help reduce whiplash. Toyota installed these over size headrests for safety. Removing them puts your family and friends at risk! One should be able to use your mirrors to see what is behind you without the need to look over ones shoulder.

13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of us who rarely have anyone in the back seat, it is easy enough to remount the head restraints for such passengers, then dismount them again.
    That is bad driving practice. Proper defensive driving is to use both methods.

As mentioned earlier, many of my fellow coworker transplants to this state flunked their first driving test because they failed to look over their shoulder before changing lanes. While I made some smaller errors, I did the shoulder check correctly and passed the test.

minkus and JGriffin like this.
  14. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I'm guessing US regulations. The Australian rear headrests are all matching low-profile ones. As for rear view, I was interstate last weekend and rented a new Toyota Corolla hatch. I gather the US doesn't get the hatch version, though I believe it's much more popular in Australia than the sedan. Even without being obscured by headrests, the rear window was WAY smaller than the Prius c, and much higher up.

15. ShirLit

ShirLit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Since the height of headrests is adjustable, I would think a shorter headrest would do the same job if raised to the proper level when passengers are present. I guess Toyota cared about peoples' safety EXCEPT for whomever might be sitting in the middle of the back seat!! ;)
    When my husband and I did a 24 hour test drive, we were sad that these headrests were going to be a deal-breaker for us. My neck actually hurt by the time I got the car home from feeling like my atlas was being pushed off my neck. Adjusting the seat height and seat back made it acceptable in the drivers seat. Unfortunately, the passenger seat does not have the same adjustment - something that would be nice for Toyota to improve upon!!!

ztanos likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think Toyota actually wants anyone to sit in that middle seat. But thanks to American product injury lawyers, they must either put a seat belt there, or put in a physical obstruction (e.g. as in the Volt) to keep most stupid teenagers from sitting there, or set aside a big reserve for the tort lawyers.

Three decades ago, I had a car (not Toyota) that was actually labeled for 4 passengers, not 5, and lacked that center belt (before any rear head restraints). But some drunk teen partiers with the same car model, crammed in there anyway, crashed at high speed, the girl in the middle was launched through the windshield, and the subsequent lawsuit put an end to the '4 passenger' label in the U.S.

So treat it as a 4 passenger car that also has an extra belt as lawyer repellant.

orenji likes this.
  17. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

I think orenji is talking about rear passengers' shoulders.

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Who would you torture to ride in the middle back seat? The middle seat is not really there, it's really a 4 seater. So what did you decide to buy instead of the C?

19. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    That middle seat is really only for giving people a lift around the corner back to their own cars. It really does not appear to be actually for transporting people to another location. It's not even comfortable if you just sit there on your own. You clearly feel like you are sitting on the hard bump between the two comfortable seats.

20. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It doesn't bother me enough to mess with it. And on occasion I will have a rear seat passenger.