1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Seats heater not turning on during preconditioning?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by sylvaing, Nov 20, 2023.

1. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So today, I though of leaving the seat heater switch in the On position, thinking when I'll preheat the car, the seats will also warm up and I'll get in to a warm seat. Well, that didn't happen :( The driver seat was as cold as the passenger seat. Is there a way to have the seats heat up while preconditioning? It's kinda a bummer if it can't.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Never owned a car with heated seats... So to me, it sounds hilarious that you think your seat is too cold. I mean when I go somewhere this time of year I'm usually wearing long underwear, thick pants, a sweater and a jacket. I would never leave home without that right now when it's 39 degrees out and I got lots of gardens that need Fall clean up with my rake and broom because leaf blowers are evil.

Besides, heated seats sound like a good way to shorten your lifespan, specifically: "Archuleta said that cold temperatures encourage cell growth, which is essential for longevity. “The study talks about the (cold's) effect on mitochondria, and we know that mitochondria are what drives cell growth,” she said." https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/02/06/scientists-say-people-in-colder-climates-may-live-longer/

3. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I'm pretty sure the car needs to be in "Ready" mode to activate power to the seat heaters. Preconditioning doesn't place the car into Ready mode - it just turns on climate control/heat pump and draws down your traction battery for 10 minutes. If your plugged-in, the battery will resume charging, after the 10 minute preconditioning - depending on your set schedule. IMHO - the heat pump is pretty useless below 35 degrees. The only way to get 'real' heat is to fire-up the ICE and/or use your heated seat & heated steering wheel. Either way, it's going to take at least 5 minutes before you feel any heat.

4. Louis19

Louis19 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Upgrade
    Preconditionning does not power seat heater , or steering heater, only the heatpump BTW it will give some heat down to -10C .....but at this temp it will be quite long to heat the cabin ......better to turn on the ICE ...a very efficient heat generator;)

vvillovv likes this.
  5. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I said cold, not too cold. Cold doesn't bother me, I cycle at -10°C and do cross country skiing at -20C, using just a base layer and thin jacket. At 0°C, I'm still wearing just a non double layered wind breaker when taking the car. I just don't like wearing a coat in the car so having a warm seat when you get in without a coat is nice.

Louis19 likes this.
  6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's legit cold compared to further south and living close to the Pacific Ocean...